cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What projects do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Files being deleted from my account, where were they deleted from?

Explorer | Level 3

Today I got a popup notification that hundreds of files were removed from my Dropbox. I logged onto the website and checked my security settings - I use a strong password and the only linked devices were my previously authorised devices (that were in the same room as me at the time of the file deletion). I changed my password just in case, but I do want to get to the bottom of this as at the moment I don't feel I can fully trust Dropbox with my files. Is there a way to find out which device deleted the files, and to generally get more information about what happened? Thank you.

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Files being deleted

Super User II
Super User II

@Queenofspades wrote:

Today I got a popup notification that hundreds of files were removed from my Dropbox.

Did you move or rename any folders recently? To Dropbox, moving or renaming a folder is seen as a deletion followed by an addition and could trigger the deletion notification.

If files were actually deleted, use your Events page and the Deleted Files page to determine what was deleted. Recover one of the files and then look at the version history of the file. It will show you which the device the deletion occurred on.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for that. No, I did not move or rename any folders. 

I was able to work out which device deleted the files - my work PC, which I was working on when the files got deleted (I was working on other files, not in Dropbox), but I don't know what steps to take to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @Queenofspades, just jumping in here!

Firstly I'd just like to ask if you managed to restore the files that were deleted?

Also, out of curiosity do you happen to have any other copies of these files on your computer if you do a quick search through your File Explorer/Finder?

Dropbox wouldn't be able to delete the files from your account without any direct action taken by you, and since the Events showed that device deleted the files we can narrow down the root cause of this.

Is it possible that you had any other third-party apps also running on your computer at the same time that would be looking at these files perhaps?

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?