cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Files deleted automatically by Dropbox!!

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Can anyone help me?  I have received 4 emails from Dropbox all with the same text, different numbers

"You recently deleted 196763 files from your Dropbox account"

I have certainly done no such thing!! Upon checking, they are mostly "facetile" 

My question is, do I need to restore all this or is it junk or what is going on here?

Many thanks for any useful input!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Files deleted automatically by Dropbox!!

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for your swift reply and for the screenshots, @Zenaida

I can see that you have Photo Library files syncing in your Dropbox account. Although I can't pin-point exactly what the deleted files may all be, they could be part of the app's functionality.  

Please bear in mind that, in general, we don't recommend syncing live databases with Dropbox, as most databases have remote access methods themselves. 

Nonetheless, you can use Dropbox to share the data, but you need to take great care and understand how file syncing works.

Most programs create a "file lock" on any file that they're using, and this lock will prevent Dropbox from syncing the file.

In some cases, you must fully quit the app before Dropbox can sync the data and make sure Dropbox has finished syncing before trying to access the file from any computer.

In any case, if you have any other questions about the deleted files, please contact our Support team and they'll be able to take a look into it for you. 

Let me know if you have any other questions!

PS: I went ahead and removed some personal information from your screenshots for security and privacy purposes as per our Community Guidelines. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @Zenaida, I'd be more than happy to help look into this. 

You may receive such emails if a number of deletions recently took place in one go or if you recently moved a lot of files, since moves are read as a deletion and an addition.

As a first step, could you please have a look at your events page and check if there are any relevant details about any sort of deletions? 

If you do find some, could you please let me know the type of files or a few examples of files? 

Keep me posted!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello Lusil,

Thanks so much for taking the time!

Following your suggestion I looked at the events page and enclosed what I found on the general timeline and then detailed. 

Beyond that, I cannot open the filed.  Am assuming it is just junk and I am certainly ok with trash being emptied... but I simply cannot fathom looking through thousands of files...Screenshot 2020-01-01 3.pngScreenshot 2020-01-01 2.pngScreenshot 2020-01-01 1.png

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for your swift reply and for the screenshots, @Zenaida

I can see that you have Photo Library files syncing in your Dropbox account. Although I can't pin-point exactly what the deleted files may all be, they could be part of the app's functionality.  

Please bear in mind that, in general, we don't recommend syncing live databases with Dropbox, as most databases have remote access methods themselves. 

Nonetheless, you can use Dropbox to share the data, but you need to take great care and understand how file syncing works.

Most programs create a "file lock" on any file that they're using, and this lock will prevent Dropbox from syncing the file.

In some cases, you must fully quit the app before Dropbox can sync the data and make sure Dropbox has finished syncing before trying to access the file from any computer.

In any case, if you have any other questions about the deleted files, please contact our Support team and they'll be able to take a look into it for you. 

Let me know if you have any other questions!

PS: I went ahead and removed some personal information from your screenshots for security and privacy purposes as per our Community Guidelines. 

Lusil

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Lusil,

This is happening to me right now, many files are being randomly deleted and I am not doing this.

I am getting notifications 12000+ files were deleted...and then another 7000+ etc etc.

I have contacted DB support and no assistance as to why this is happening. All they can tell me is that we must be re-arranging our files which we are not. The only other advice is to say go to events and restore the files. 

I do not want files randomly being deleted and no investigation to why this is happening. It seems to be a common DB issue. Can this be resolved? How do we work out why this is happening?

Or is it just that DB is not a good tool and we need to change? I love the convenience of DB so would be very disappointed if this issue cannot be resolved.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @mdtboy, thanks for posting your thoughts on this thread. 

Out of curiosity, when you do go to your events page, do you see any info in regards to these files being moved? 

Let me know of any updates. Thanks!

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

After dealing with this for months and mass deleting twice today I have come to the conclusion that DropBox is a piece of **bleep** and I am leaving it to go to Google Drive. So disappointing. You should be able to access is from multiple devices without this random mass delete issue.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?