Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Files disappeared and can not be retrieved

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hey,

A very important folder to my dropbox business team has disapeared for no known reason. When checking the deleted files, I saw it there, but when tryng to restore it, I get an error message sayng  "We were unable to fetch deleted files details.". I wrote to the support more then a week ago, no answer. What cen I do to retrive our data? it is a very important folder.

Thanks,

Noam

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: Files disappeared and can not be retrieved

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @noamkeidar,

From what you mentioned of the error message, was this perhaps a shared folder? Does your Events page here show an event related to that folder at all?

Also, it would be worth checking your Sharing tab here in case you just need to add the folder back to your account.

Let me know what you find and we can go from there - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hey Daphne,

It was indeed a shared folder, in the event log appears a line "You removed your access to the shared folder Course Material" from September 15, but I haven't been at work that day, so I can not think of any way I could have done it.

Noam

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @noamkeidar,

Were you able to see the folder when you look at your Sharing tab? If you're not able to see the folder there then is it possible that the owner of the folder removed your access (or another member if the owner allowed this).

Regardless, if the folder is no longer shared with you, you'll need to request the owner to share it with you again, or perhaps another member of the folder who has permission.

I hope this helps!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

We had exactly the same problem on a folder shared with my colleague. In both our events tab, 'You removed your access to the shared folder xxx' appears. I see the folder as a deleted folder. We try to restore it from both accounts but  we constantly get  "We were unable to fetch deleted files details." error message.

We know that we were not using the dropbox or the computers linked to the dropbox accounts at the time the folder is deleted. Is it perhaps due to some sort of dropbox error?

Another strange thing is, the folder named in the events tab is different from the name of the folder that appears as deleted folder?

I will be happy for any assistance.

Regards; 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @birileri,

If you are seeing in the Events page that your access has been removed from a shared folder, then perhaps the owner of the shared folder could have removed your access to the folder. In this case, you won't be able to restore the deleted files as they are no longer shared with you.

As you mentioned that you saw a different folder name in the "Deleted files" page, when the folder was originally shared with you, did you change the name of the folder in your account?

I hope this clarifies the matter - thanks!

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?