cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files disappeared without deletion

Files disappeared without deletion

EL09
Explorer | Level 3

I was browsing the photos within a main folder on my phone, and all of a sudden, all the photos, together with other sub-folders within this main folder just disappeared, I didn't delete them or touch anything.

Nothing is in the "delete files" (where you can recover)

Nothing is recorded in the "folder history"

The folder is private to myself, not shared with anyone

I went to my iPad and opened the main folder from there, the missing files quickly flashed and disappeared over there as well.

They are really important to me, but I can't get to Dropbox support either, just a bot that won't answer my question.

13 Replies 13

Re: Files disappeared without deletion

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @EL09, welcome to our Community!

Can you please clarify if you're only having this issue on the Dropbox mobile app? How about our website, are you able to see these files there?

Let me know what you find!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

EL09
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Hannah, thanks for your reply.

At both website, mobile (Android) app, and iPad app, the files are missing.

The main folder of the files is still there.

Other folders do not seem to be affected.

Thanks

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @EL09, as you're not seeing the missing files on the deleted files page, then there's a few possibilities as to where the files might be:
  • The files are on another Dropbox account
  • They were on a shared folder you don't have access to any more
  • The files were deleted outside of the 30 day period
  • The files were permanently deleted
I'd check the first two possibilities to see if this could be the case regarding the missing files.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

EL09
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Jay , thanks for getting in touch, but none of the situation you described is my case:

• I only have 1 Dropbox account, I was browsing through the files (sub folders of pictures and a few videos) in my account, while I was sliding down the screen on my phone, it just disappeared all of a sudden. Before they disappeared, I actually clicked and opened a few photos, which means they were actually there, not just like ghost images that existed in device memory and was deleted
  • It is my own folder, created by myself and never shared with anyone. I still have access to the folder, just all the files are missing, and it says "The folder is empty"
  • I'm 200% sure they are not deleted, and no action record is shown in the "Recent" history

EL09_0-1619853960521.png

Please see the screen shot above, the incident happened about 24 hrs ago, but nothing is recorded there.

EL09_1-1619854401559.png

I know I'm not a paid customer, but I think the occurrence of this incident is very serious as the files just disappeared for no reason, not in deleted folder, and not recorded in my action history.

For these reasons, could you please get someone to actually look into my account of what happened and investigate.

I need to find those files as they are very private and important to me, and those ones actually are my backup, my computer is broken.

If the service is only available to paid customer, please let me know and I'm happy to upgrade to solve this issue.

Thank you.

Jay
Dropboxer
It sounds like the files would have been permanently deleted then via the website, which is why they're not visible on the site on the deleted files page.

Does anyone else have access to your Dropbox account, or is your account logged in on any browser or other device you use?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

EL09
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Jay , the answer is No.

My account only allows me to log on by three devices:

• my computer (which is broken)
  • my iPad which I wasn't using
  • my phone, which I was using to browse the files when they disappeared

I also had website access from company's computer, but I wasn't using it when the files disappeared.

I'm very sure no one knows my login details, and even if that happened, I didn't get any notification from Dropbox about someone else logged into my account from another device.

Jay
Dropboxer
Are there any sessions showing logins to the Dropbox site from here?

Do they have IP addresses from another location associated with them?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

EL09
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Jay , please see below

EL09_0-1620191209290.png

Nothing is wrong, I just don't think my account is compromised.

I use the company's laptop, so sometimes when I connect to VPN, it may show as a new IP.

The question I have to you is, if I upgrade, will there be an engineering team that can investigate and help me to find the files back?

If they can, I'm happy to do it and work with them closely.

I tried to delete another folder that I didn't need a few days ago, and it appeared in the deleted folder.

So for something to be deleted permanently, my understanding is I need to go to the deleted folder to delete them again, which is an extra step that I have never done before.

And I have never been notified that anyone else logged onto my account.

I feel like the files are still with Dropbox, it is just for some technical reason not showing up in my folder.

One more question, if the files are larger (I doubt it) than my storage limit, will Dropbox delete them without letting me know?

Thanks

Jay
Dropboxer
If the files are not in the deleted files page, then they can't be recovered. Upgrading to a paid plan isn't retroactive for files deleted outside of 30 days ago, and wouldn't help with permanently deleted files.

Likewise, our support team wouldn't be able to recover those files.

If you test it out by permanently deleting a random file from the deleted files page, you'll note that the file no longer appears there any more, which is the same situation as your current files.

If the files brought your account overquota, nothing would happen as Dropbox doesn't delete files without user interaction on them.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    EL09 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?