cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files failing to save in Dropbox

Files failing to save in Dropbox

qualiyah
Helpful | Level 6

I keep having this problem. I'll be working on a document or powerpoint and try to save it in Dropbox, and it just...won't save.

It doesn't seem to happen if it's a document that was already saved in Dropbox, and I am updating it. It only happens when I try to save a brand new document, or when I try to save a document under a new name (which basically makes it a brand new document). I'll do "save as," set it to save in a Dropbox folder, and title the document 5M.docx, and it sets to work doing that...and then it just reverts back to being an untitled document, and when I look in the folder, the document is not saved in there.

This is obviously a huge problem--I've lost work to this several times.

This never happens except when I'm trying to save in my Dropbox folder--it's definitely specific to Dropbox. It doesn't do this every time I try to save something to Dropbox, but it does it a decent percentage of the time. When it happens, I have to save the **bleep** document on my desktop instead, and then drag it into the Dropbox folder, which works fine.

I haven't been able to find anyone else talking about this problem! Does anyone know what is going on and how I can get this to stop happening?

36 Replies 36

lesliepratch
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you. I will try what you suggested in a few hours when I will have the time!

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Just for troubleshooting purposes, could you temporarily close them and see if there's any change in behavior, @bropdox

No worries, @lesliepratch, take your time, and let us know of any updates.

Thanks again!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

bropdox
Helpful | Level 6

@Lusil I exited Box and disabled Code42. No difference. 

One thing I have noticed is that this problem is not consistent across different methods of saving. Before explaining this, let me say, I do have the option checked to "Show dropbox as a save location in Microsoft Office."

I can save in Word through one of three ways:

1. Use the "Save as" icon which I added to appear above the ribbon in word. This opens a file explorer window. It fails most of the time.

2.  File --> Save As. Because Dropbox is set to be the default place to save (in my Word Options), it immediately suggests a Dropbox file path. This fails much of the time, but not quite as much as #1.

3. File --> Save As --> Browse. This, too, opens up the file explorer window. This seems to fail far less often than the others, but it will still eventually fail. 

Again, there's no problem across these three methods when saving someplace outside of Dropbox.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Could you try fixing hardlinks or permissions by following these steps?

If that doesn't do the trick and if you haven't already, could you try clearing the cache as well?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

bropdox
Helpful | Level 6

@Lusil  YES! Thank you. Fixing the hardlinks didn't seem to do anything, but fixing the permissions did! My problems started when I added Dropbox to a new work laptop. The user profile was setup quite differently than my previous laptop, so that must have been at the root of this. 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Glad to have helped, @bropdox!

If anything else comes up, just give us another shout. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely week ahead.

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

bropdox
Helpful | Level 6

@Lusil actually, it stopped working again. I tried clearing the cache. That did nothing. There's been a Windows update between when it was working and now, so I will try fixing the permissions again. Can I do that without fixing the hardlinks first, or should I do both?

Something I have noticed, the *only* way I can save for sure within Word is to File --> Save as --> Dropbox --> Browse in Dropbox.

It's a lot of clicking.

If I try any other method of saving that doesn't involve "browse in Dropbox" there's a risk of failure.

lesliepratch
Explorer | Level 4

The issue has gone away, not sure why. Thank you for your help.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Glad to hear that you're not having trouble with this anymore, @lesliepratch!

Also, @bropdox, sorry to hear that the issue's returned. 

You can try fixing permissions first and, if that doesn't do the trick, try fixing hardlinks. 

If they don't help improve the behavior, could you clarify if you have any pending OS updates?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

bropdox
Helpful | Level 6

@Lusil I had a large Windows update a couple of days ago, but just checked and installed a minor one. There are no pending updates and I've restarted my computer.

I've also fixed the permissions and hardlinks again, and for good measure, cleared the cache again. 

The problem still persists, but not as consistently. Do you have any other suggestions? Also, why does "Browse in Dropbox" consistently work, but other ways (e.g., clicking the shortcut icons in the ribbon) or any other route through file --> save as not work consistently?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

bropdox Helpful | Level 6
    Rasgull New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?