cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files from dropbox.com not snycnig with laptop

Files from dropbox.com not snycnig with laptop

Explorer | Level 3

I've setup an online dropbox basic account and downloaded the client to my laptop.  Whilst it appears sync my folder structure, it does not snyc the files within them.  I've scrolled the forum for advice, however it suggests this can be configure in Preferences.  For some reason my version doesnt have preferences.  Any advice welcome to get the files syncing from cloud to my laptop.

Many thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Files from dropbox.com not snycnig with laptop

Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshots there @Shuggy Duggy, I think we've found the culprit there!

The file names within the folder contain a colon which isn't a compatible character for the Windows OS. This is what's causing the files to not sync to your desktop from online.

You'll need to remove the incompatible characters from the filenames and this should allow them to sync down to the local Dropbox folder.

You can check out more info about these characters here.

Let me know if that does the trick!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Dropboxer

Hello @Shuggy Duggy, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Just to have a better understanding of your current set up, please let me know what version of the app you have installed and the sync status it shows at the moment.

Also, do you see any files/folders populating within the local Dropbox folder on your computer?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne, Thanks for your response.   I have the Dropbpx Basic plan, which doesnt appear to display preferences option, so I can't see the version.  On the desktop client it is displaying the folders are synced with a green tick. However there are no files within the folder.

What I am trying to achieve is I have setup a dropbox cloud folder which I am sending daily files to from another source.  I would like the dropbox cloud folder to then sync with my laptop.  Initialy my setup had my files in a sub-folder under an APP folder.  I was getting an error message stating you cant sync files in an APP folder.  As a test I created a new folder in my dropbox root, placed files in that folder.  Whilst it automatically created the test folder on my laptop, it did not sync the files to it.

Explorer | Level 3

Any update??? Many thanks

Dropboxer

Could you forward a screenshot showing the app you're referring to, and the local Dropbox folder showing no files in there? Thanks!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

Edited by moderatorEdited by moderatorEdited by moderatorEdited by moderatorDropbpox_Com Online folder screenshot 1.JPGDropbpox_Com Online plan details screenshot 3.JPGEdited by moderatorEdited by moderator

Explorer | Level 3

let me know if you need any other screenshots.  Thanks Stephen

Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshots there @Shuggy Duggy, I think we've found the culprit there!

The file names within the folder contain a colon which isn't a compatible character for the Windows OS. This is what's causing the files to not sync to your desktop from online.

You'll need to remove the incompatible characters from the filenames and this should allow them to sync down to the local Dropbox folder.

You can check out more info about these characters here.

Let me know if that does the trick!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne, fantastic, you've solved my problem.  I've removed the : from the file name and the files are now syncing.  Thank you for your help.

Regards

Stephen

Dropboxer

I'm very glad to hear that @Shuggy Duggy!

I'm just a post away if there's anything else that I can help with. :beaming face with smiling eyes:

Hope you have a great weekend ahead Stephen!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?