cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files got deleted from my pc. Desktop, Documents and Download files all gone. I cannot recover them!

Files got deleted from my pc. Desktop, Documents and Download files all gone. I cannot recover them!

JaimeEvi
New member | Level 2

I am a first time user of Dropbox. I have no idea that it can act as storage by taking away files from my personal computer. So yes, it did so. It took my files from my desktop, documents and even downloads. Unfortunately, the file were more than 2gb. So I remove them all from my dropbox thinking I am safe. So I saw on drive C renamed to something like "C:\Users\owner\Dropbox...." I thought it was a remnant file from the dropbox. Since I thought I am safe...I removed it thinking it is merely tied to dropbox. Nope, it deleted the whole files from my pc. I really need to recover all those files. Can anyone help? My mom just died and my memories of her, my dad, my family and very important documents were all there!  

2 Replies 2

Re: Files got deleted from my pc. Desktop, Documents and Download files all gone. I cannot recove...

Walter
Dropboxer
Hi @JaimeEvi, thanks for dropping by our Community and sorry to hear about this. 

It seems like you enabled the computer backup feature on your computer.  

Do you remember if the app had finished syncing and showing 'up to date' when you deleted those files?

Can you see any sign of the missing files in your deleted files page or the events page perhaps? 

If you can't find them there, I'd recommend checking your computer's recycle bin as well. 

Let me know what you find!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Files got deleted from my pc. Desktop, Documents and Download files all gone. I cannot recove...

JaimeEvi
New member | Level 2

Hi Walter, the app did not finished syncing because it was only 2gb. The combined storage of files from my Desktop, Documents and download were more than 2gb. Heck, the files on my mobile phone is more than 2gb so what kind of computer backup of 2gb can do at this current computer age? Anyway, what I did was I stopped the process after Dropbox notified me that I am about to fill up the provided basic storage. Next thing I did was deleted those files one by one on Dropbox and then uninstalled the app. Never was I aware that dropbox created its own folder on my pc and transferred all the files to a single dropbox folder from their original location. All that time I thought I was safe so I went on and deleted any remnant dropbox files I can find. Yes, I found THAT one in my pc and deleted it. Next thing I knew my desktop, documents and download files and folders are all gone! Man, I mean Dropbox should have reverted the files back into their proper location during the uninstallation. Most programs do it that way but not Dropbox. Now, my computer is slow probably due to it being corrupted and missing critical files. All my save game files from Steam, Epic, UPlay, Blizzard and so on are gone. Some of the programs I am using for work are all gone and some are not even working. What really hurt me though are the files containing the memory of my mom who just died last May 18 because I placed them on Download. With regards to Dropbox...since I already deleted the files, I can no longer see them. No missing files or deleted files. Although, I noticed that I have 1.63gb storage used on my dropbox out of the 2gb. However, I don't know where those are anymore.  No files on the recycled/trash bin too. When I deleted the dropbox folder from my pc...it kind of felt like Thanos snapping his fingers. Again, Dropbox should have reverted all the files back to their correct places during uninstallation of the app. Disappointed how it turned out...I already lose my mom, now I lose her memories.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JaimeEvi New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?