cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files invisible on my computer app. by visible on Dropbox.com

Files invisible on my computer app. by visible on Dropbox.com

New member | Level 2

Files sent from my iPad from Notability are invisible on list on computer app, but can be seen by searching the computer app list.  Also, they are immediately visiable on on the list in Dropbox.com.  This is a new problem yesterday (8-25-20).  Several  files exported by the iPad from Notability is the last few weeks are visible.  The folders are not shared.  Everything I saw googling the problem seemed to be about shared folders.  Also, the computer app Dropbox is apparently synched, according to what I could tell.

thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Files invisible on my computer app. by visible on Dropbox.com

Dropboxer

Hi there @Ted-3, I hope you're doing well today!

Since you're seeing the files online and the app shows it's up to date, do the files have any incompatible characters that are preventing them from syncing down to your computer?

You can check out the full list of incompatible characters dependent on your computer's OS from here.

If that's not the case, please let me know what version of the app you have installed on your computer.

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Dropboxer

Hi there @Ted-3, I hope you're doing well today!

Since you're seeing the files online and the app shows it's up to date, do the files have any incompatible characters that are preventing them from syncing down to your computer?

You can check out the full list of incompatible characters dependent on your computer's OS from here.

If that's not the case, please let me know what version of the app you have installed on your computer.

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

New member | Level 2

Thanks.  That was it.  There was a ? in the filename.  The crazy thing was that I could work around and actually get it into windows.  But, it was crazy.  When school starts I will have to do this many times a day.

Ted-3

Dropboxer

I'm glad to hear that helped get to the bottom of this @Ted-3!

If there's anything else that I can help with, please don't hesitate to give me another nudge here. I'd be happy to help out. 😃

Hope you enjoy the rest of your day!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

New member | Level 2

Exactly the same thing just happened to me today.  Does this rule also apply to naming in sub-directories?  I have a subdirectory with an apostrophy in it  -  Land O'Lakes.

Lawrence

New member | Level 2

I don't know, but I would bet so. I'm a beginner.  Somebody will know.

Dropboxer

It would apply to all files and folders in your account @lawrencecosslett.

It's not due to a restriction in Dropbox, it's that the computer's OS doesn't allow files to be named with certain characters.

If you were to try and name one of the files on your computer with one of those incompatible characters, you would get an error from your computer that the name is not valid.

I hope this helps to clarify the matter!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?