cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files linked

Files linked

Tom71
New member | Level 2

Hello people I ask you, can you create a folder in Drobox with files that are linked to my private disk and at the same time to a friend's disk? The idea is that we both work on it as co-authorship and the file is updated on the spot.

Thank you pretty people

3 Replies 3

Re: Files linked

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @Tom71, thanks for joining us!

If you want you and your friend to access and edit the same folder and have your changes sync to this folder, you can create one in the Dropbox folder on your computer and share it with your friend.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Tom71
New member | Level 2
Hello Hannah, first thank you very much for taking the time to answer me !!
But what I need to know is if that file "x" that I am going to share with my friend, can be linked to other files that each of us have on our particular disk, and that when we modify such particular files on our particular disks, those changes replicate in file "X" uploaded to DropBox?

Rich
Super User II

@Tom71 wrote:
But what I need to know is if that file "x" that I am going to share with my friend, can be linked to other files that each of us have on our particular disk, and that when we modify such particular files on our particular disks, those changes replicate in file "X" uploaded to DropBox?

That won't work, at least not without some planning. When linking to or embedding other files, most applications use the full path to a file, and that path will be specific to the computer that the file is located on. Your Dropbox folder would usually be in a different location from someone else's, or the shared folder could have a different name on your computer compared to your friend's. In such cases, you could link to a file, but when your friend opened the main file, the application won't be able to find the file you linked to.

The only way to make this work is to make sure that the path to the file is the exact same on both computers. If you both had your Dropbox folders in the root of your drive instead of under your profile, in C:\Dropbox for instance, and the shared folder where these files exist all have the same name, then it might work for you. Also note that any files you link to need to reside in Dropbox on both of your computers. You can link to a file that only you have and expect your friend to see it as well. All the files need to be in the shared folder that you both have access to.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Tom71 New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?