cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn about how Kev uses Dropbox to make sure he keeps track of all the new music he listens to? Check out his tips here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files lost while transferring to a pendrive

Files lost while transferring to a pendrive

Susanna Nava
New member | Level 2

Hi everyone! I really hope someone can help me. Today I cut and pasted some files from Dropbox to an USB pendrive but one folder was pasted completely empty with no files even if there were many (mostly pdfs and words). I tried to re-past the folder but it didn’t work. I also canceled, so that the folders would be re-uploaded to Dropbox, but that folder was pasted empty. I need those documents, can I get them back? Thank you in advance for your answers.

7 Replies 7

Re: Files lost while transferring to a pendrive

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @Susanna Nava, let's see what we can do here. 

The first step is to check if you see the folder or the files in your deleted files tab online. 

If you do find them there, you can restore them by following these steps

Give that a try and let me know how it goes, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

EmmaTh
Explorer | Level 3

I had the same problem.  I initiated a backup of my files to Dropbox, not understanding that Dropbox would remove these files from my computer.   I didn't have enough room in my Dropbox for all my folders, so the backup stopped half way.  I wrestled with Dropbox to restore my folders to my computer, but as I have been working over the last couple of weeks, I have come across a couple of folders that are empty on my computer and non-existent in Dropbox.  The missing files are not in my deleted files in Dropbox.  

What might have happened and is there any way to restore these files?  I am NOT impressed!

Megan
Dropboxer
Hi @EmmaTh, thanks for posting today! 

Have you checked your Events' page? 

The Events tab shows you a summary of all activity in your account, including file events (adds/edits/deletes) and shared folder additions and deletions.

Let me know!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

EmmaTh
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lori,

I have looked through the Events page, but have been unable to locate my missing files by following the links - the files and folders that have disappeared on my computer are also missing from the Dropbox folders.  I continue to discover seemingly random folders that are now empty - all files within have disappeared since I tried to back up my computer to Dropbox and then re-transfer the data to my computer.  

Any other suggestions?  This is a major inconvenience.

Thank you,

Emma 

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @EmmaTh, in general, you'd have 30 days to recover any deleted content from your account on the Dropbox site, unless you were on a Dropbox Professional or Business account when they were deleted, which would give you 180 days.

As it has been over a month since your last post, most likely by now it wouldn't be possible to restore these missing files and folders via Dropbox.

However, it might be possible to recover the files from the local machine from the recycle bin, or using a third party app or service to do so.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

EmmaTh
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, Jay.  I realize that I am past the 30 day limit for recovering deleted files, but wasn't able to find them then either.  I haven't had a huge amount of time to dedicate to figuring this out - I run a small business - but ran across more empty folders today, hence my coming back to this.    I really don't understand why certain files would have disappeared - they are scattered throughout my folders, not following any logic that I can understand.  I attempted to restore to my computer exactly what was sent to Dropbox (working with the highest level folder), so I am mystified as to how certain files were removed from my computer, but not included in the uploaded folders in Dropbox.

Based on my experience and that of others that I have read about, I would strongly encourage Dropbox to be more explicit in explaining that files will be moved from one's computer to Dropbox when backing up, rather than making a duplicate copy, which is how most of us understand 'back up'.  

I will sift through my recycle bin, but not hopeful.

Thanks,

Emma 

Jay
Dropboxer
Files can be deleted for various reasons, so it would be difficult to determine how or why they were deleted from those locations.

It could be security software quarantining the files, ransomware or a virus, or another program on your device making these changes.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    EmmaTh Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?