Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files no Longer Overwrite

Dhestroyer_XIII
Explorer | Level 4

I used to save files as PDFs through my web browser on my iPhone or Samsung tablet.  and when I get the new updated versions I would save them to Dropbox, keep the name, and it would overwrite. Now they don't do that and create a separate file for each time they were edited/saved. I have looked all over for the way to make it go back to overwriting but so far haven't found it. Now I'm having to manually go in and delete the duplicate/previous versions. Anybody else have this happen or know how to fix?

14 Replies 14

Re: Files no Longer Overwrite

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there (@Dhestroyer_XIII), let me follow-up on that a bit closer, as you’ve mentioned that this has changed recently for you; thanks for reaching out on the Dropbox Community! 

For starters, would you mind including a step-by-step description of the steps you’re following in your next post, in order to further advise on the matter (i.e. I’d like to check back on the results I’m getting on my end if I follow the exact set of steps as you do)? Since you’ve mentioned that you’re saving your .pdfs from your browser back to Dropbox, I’m wondering if you’re editing on a website that offers you the option to "Save" on that location. Are you getting any error messages by any chance? If so, I’d appreciate a screenshot (omitting personal info) of what you’re seeing in your next post here, so as to get a better idea of what’s happening. 

Any detail you could include on this discussion here would be very helpful & thanks a lot for taking the time to clarify matters for me. I’ll be awaiting your next reply & I hope that you enjoy the rest of your Monday! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

makearacket New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I am having exactly the same problem. When I make changes to any *.*xls spreadsheets online through WPS Office, instead of overwriting it creates a new file each time I make a change to the file by adding a (1) to each new file created.

See Screenshot

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @makearacket, as there isn’t currently an official integration with WPS Office, I’d assume that this is happening because the original file can’t be overwritten. While it will probably be worth checking whether .xlsx files can retain the file’s version history as expected using your current setup, I’d also recommend checking out our Office Online integration

Hopefully my message brings a bit of clarity & provides you a useful alternative; please do let me know how my suggestion works for you or in case you need further assistance in any way. Thanks for checking in with us on the Community! 

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

RussWYD New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I'm getting the same problem. I used to open the Dropbox folder on my desktop (Mac) then I could simply hold down the Alt key and drag a file into Dropbox, where it would overwrite the existing file in the Dropbox folder. I want to keep the file on my desktop but add a copy to Dropbox – not just put the file solely in Dropbox. It's annoying as it's made functionality much more laborious.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for the nudge @RussWYD!

It would be worth noting that the desired outcome described by the OP pertains to overwriting files when editing with a third-party app, however it seems that you’d prefer to copy those & overwrite in Dropbox, am on the right path in how I’ve perceived that? 

I’m wondering if that pertains to moving/copying files in general on your Mac & not just in Dropbox. Can you replicate outside the Dropbox folder incidentally?

If it’s not too much to ask, could you let me know if this bears any similarity with what the OP has been describing, so as to make sure I’m following-up on the right thing? 

Thanks again!

Jane

ristoraagel New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I got same problem, that file, im working doesnt allow to overwrite himself and i have to make new file to save.

And all these answers didnt help at all. :(

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @ristoraagel, thanks for pinging me here on this matter!

It would be very helpful if you specified the file type & app you’re using, so that I can further advice a bit more accurately. 

I look forward to hearing back from you!

Jane

RussWYD New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have found a work around – takes a couple more steps than the previous Dropbox interface. You need to open the Dropbox folder from the hard drive, not from the Dropbox icon at the top of the screen as previously – it used to open the same window but now doesn't... If you open the folder direct from the hard drive it behaves as before and allows you to overwrite.

dutz
Explorer | Level 3

Same problem here, what have worked before is not working anymore!

I am working in Illustrator and saving pdf files in to my dropbox folder. The small dropbox icon shows the syncing process, but the file remains the old one, it's not owerwritten. All the other file types are working ok, only the PDFs not.

Any ideeas?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?