cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Files no longer syncing between online or offline/app

Explorer | Level 3

Hi. When a colleague uploads a video file it no longer appears in the offline or app version of Dropbox. Only through the browser. I then have to download it again to my computer rather than it being there already. Can you help?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Files no longer syncing between online or offline/app

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

One of the links you sent me is a shared link to the actual content and so, from what I understand, you were also originally given access to it via a shared link.

Note that this means that the folders and files aren't added to your account (since anyone can access it, even without having an active Dropbox account) and, as a result, don't sync to your desktop app. 

If you'd like to have it available in your account, you'll need to ask the user who sent you the shared link to add you to the folders as a member, making them shared folders. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @Glen_1892, thanks for checking in with us on the Dropbox Community. 

At first, could you clarify if this is a shared file or a file that someone adds to a shared folder? 

Keep me posted!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi. It's a shared folder that someone uses (has access to) and places files in. It's working to a certain extent but very slow to show in the offline and app versions. Like almost an hour later. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @Glen_1892

In order for any changes to show up in your desktop app, your device must be connected to the internet and running. 

You can check if its running by locating the Dropbox icon next to your computer's clock.

Having said that, when you're waiting for the file to sync to your desktop app, could you let me know what the Dropbox icon shows when you click on it?

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi. A file went into the folder at 3.56pm yesterday but is still not showing in my app/offline folder. I've uninstalled Dropbox and reinstalled it but it's still not showing. Lots of other files have been added to my Dropbox but these videos don't appear. They are quite large over 2GB but I didnt' have problems like this a couple of weeks ago. Glen 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @Glen_1892

Could you clarify what you mean when you mention that you can't see it in your offline folder? 

Also, can you see the files when you log in via the website?

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi. I can see them when I log in on the website. But when I try to view them in the Dropbox App on my laptop (or offline i.e. when not connected to the internet for example off site somewhere and on my hard drive) they don't appear. They are both large video files around 2.5 GB.

As I've said it was working fine a couple of weeks ago but now giving me issues with work as I'm having to constantly download files from the website rather than them being available straightaway if I need upate, trim, amend, send on etc

Glen

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Could you send me a screenshot of what the Dropbox icon (that's next to your computer's clock) shows when you hover over it?

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I can't insert a screenshot. It says Dropbox 99.4.501 Up to date when I hover it

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Could the shared folder be selectively synced by any chance? 

If it's not, could you try rebooting your computer - maybe that will do the trick?

Lusil

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?