cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files not appearing - the updates I made to a file are not visible in Dropbox, any ideas?

Files not appearing - the updates I made to a file are not visible in Dropbox, any ideas?

Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

A few days ago I was working on a shared document and a "conflicted copy" was automatically generated. Am I correct in thinking that this was because someone else was working on the file at the same time?

Yesterday, I sought to work again on the "original" version and made changes to it and also produced a back-up version with a different file name and attempted to save it in a separate Dropbox folder. Having returned home and looked at Dropbox on my laptop computer, the updates to the "original" version are not showing and the back-up file is not visible. No error messages appeared when the files were saved.

Does anyone have any ideas what the issue(s) may be and whether the files might be recoverable? Frustratingly, due to Covid restrictions, I am now working from home and will have no access to the computer I used yesterday for the foreseeable future.

9 Replies 9

Re: Files not appearing - the updates I made to a file are not visible in Dropbox, any ideas?

Dropboxer

Hello there @Mcpheesicus, I hope you're well today!

Can you check to see if you see the updated version in your Dropbox account online?

If there is a sync issue, seeing if the file is saved to your account via the website will let us know more info on this.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Files not appearing - the updates I made to a file are not visible in Dropbox, any ideas?

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, Daphne.

There is no sign of the files in the Dropbox account online.

As I mentioned, one of the files is an updated version of an existing file, while the others are newly created files saved in a different Dropbox.

Any help would be very much appreciated! The experience has made me a little wary of saving to Dropbox again.

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @Mcpheesicus!

In this case, if these versions didn't have time to sync to your account online then there isn't much I could suggest here.

You would need to allow the files to sync from the device they were added/edited from, which would mean accessing the computer that you used previously, that you don't have access to at the moment.

Would it be at all possible for you, or another person, to start up that computer so that it can sync the files you need?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

New member | Level 2

I have a similar problem, but it has been going on for several weeks. I have a problem viewing/accessing to the files in the drobox folders on my MAC.  Also when I log in to the website from two different computers I see different folders. I can see all the folders (17) on one computer and only 6 on the other. On the computer app, I tried using the "hide folders" option - I unchecked all of them so they would be shown, but nothing changed. Can I ask for help?

Dropboxer

Thanks for joining us here @WeraB, and for the screenshots.

From what I could see, you're indeed signed into the desktop app with the same email address. For your own security, I removed this from the screenshots.

On the computer that is seeing only a few of the folders, do you have selective sync applied there?

Please check the selective sync settings on this device, to make sure that all the folders you want to sync are checked.

However, since you mentioned seeing different folders online, can you please double check that you're signed in with the same email address there?

You can check this page online on each device, to compare the email.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, Daphne.

I've requested access to the office so that I can use the computer. I hope to receive a response over the next few days.

Assuming that I'm given access, what would you suggest I do to make sure that the files sync properly?

Pesumably once I turn the computer on, the files should just appear in the relevant Dropbox folders accessible from the computer?

Dropboxer

That's good to hear @Mcpheesicus!

You mentioned that the files were saved within the Dropbox folder on this computer, so you should just need to start up the device and have the Dropbox app running.

From the Dropbox icon in the menu bar/system tray, you can check the sync status to see if it shows "up to date".

If you'd like to double check, just to make sure, you can also check your Dropbox account online. 

To be able to access the files from your other devices, you have to have the files synced to your account online.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

New member | Level 2

Thanks, Daphne for the reply. I checked again in the sync settings and it turned out that the translation to Polish is confusing for me, because it says to "uncheck/unselect" the folders that I want to be hidden. So I select all the files and then they all showed up in the application. 

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?