cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files not in my Mac and Dropbox

Files not in my Mac and Dropbox

Stann579
Explorer | Level 3

I downloaded dropbox app on my mac - opted for basic (i am long time account holder)

Target to sync only to my "Documents" Folder - Option = Make it available on cloud(dropbox) only. 

While doing its maiden sync - I stopped the process as it was taking too long...thinking to complete it later...

Once I tried to reactivate - this happens:

- All my files are gone from my local Documents folder (this I expect)

- but my Dropbox folder on my computer is empty (this, I did not expect)

- I opened my dropbox on the cloud and there is a file called ".localized - 0 bytes"

- When that is clicked. This message pops up - "Something went wrong while previewing this file"

- When I clicked an "Open" button, it brought me back into my documents folder - which is now EMPTY!!!

The files are invaluable needless to say. Does anyone have similar experience? I find it hard to believe a company of this stature handles routine sync interruption by culling files on both source and destinations just like that. Nothing left at both ends.  

8 Replies 8

Re: Files not in my Mac and Dropbox

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there @Stann579, thanks for checking in with us and sorry to hear about this. 

Has the desktop app completed syncing by any chance? 

Also, have a look at your events page to see if there is a record of the files being added. 

Give me a shout and I'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Tiedye
Helpful | Level 5

This happened to me also just now!  I am seriously freaking out as I simply cannot afford to lose these files! I can't find any support other than some stupid Bot so I'm looking at posts and saw this.

I've managed to find my Desktop files, no longer onmy desktop but in a folder called "Desktop" and they seem to be fine.

My Downloads folder is empty! Everything is gone... but I can live without this stuff.

My Documents folder shoew a bunch of unreadable and unopenable files and folders.  This is a lifetime of files! What happened to them??

There's still a "My Mac" folder on dropbox but it's empty!  I've checked the "Delete Files" tab and it has nothing... 

Is there seriously no way to speak with an actual human to try to fix this?  I don't know what to do!

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there @Tiedye, thanks for joining us on this thread and I'm sorry to hear about your frustration. 

Has the desktop app finished syncing by any chance?

You can check that by hovering over the Dropbox icon that's next to your computer's clock. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Tiedye
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Lusil,

No there is no syncing in progress.  I also interrupted the process (as I did not want my computer folders copied to dropbox) and then attempted to delete the folders on dropbox.  What I did not expect was that this would result in the files within these folders to be moved elsewhere or simply vanished!

I managed to find the files that were on my desktop and they seem to work!  After restarting my computer I found that many of the folders and files from "Documents" were back, however when I try to open them, they can't be found or it tells me to remove them from the Trash... only they're not visible in the trash!  Finally, the "Downloads" folder is just empty.  Not a big loss, but still more lost files.

I feel that all of these files must still be present on my computer someplace, but I've no Idea how to find and recover them.

Really dissapointing, since I thought that Dropbox was going to work great for sharing a couple of folders worth of files with team members...

Any suggestions?

Stann579
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your response. 

As I've alluded to, I interrupted it thinking to continue later as I needed to do. I also suspect that the content of my source (Documents Folder) might be larger than the 2GB allocation? This is only a "suspicion" because I remember even 20 years ago that the process will not start if it detects insufficient space at the destination. Then again, this is dropbox where space is in theory "infinite" relative to my file sizes. ONLY question that begs is will want to pay an "upgrade"

Thanks for the Event Page suggestion - it's a good one. The sequence is as follows (Ascending)

1. You added the folder My Mac (Macbook air...)

2. You added the folder Documents

3. You added the file .localized (what is this?)

4. You added the file 2021.xls (the only file that was transferred)

In total, there were about 20 folders with around 100 files. This is not your problem but, I am talking about files that took thousands of hours and will affect my livelihood kind. 

I stopped the process after around 15 minutes of synch at over 100MBPS upload and download speeds (via "speedtest")

The question remains - what happened to my files?

I find it absolutely reprehensible that a billion-dollar tech makes this rudimentary error. After 48 hours of absolute misery, I am resigned to the fact that Dropbox culled hundreds of files that were in transition between source and destination because it did not handle a simple synching interruption.

Stann579
Explorer | Level 3

Forgot to add...I am still hoping there is a solution to this if by some miracle someone can help. I am still in a state of shock and disbelieve. I mean, I've lost some 20 hours worth of work in the early 1990's using WIndows 3.X using a clunky word processor, but losing files over the ether because of transfer interruption in 2021? I am (still) in denial...very hard to accept.

Tiedye
Helpful | Level 5

Hey Stann,

While I am no computer expert and a very new user of Dropbox, I had a very similar experience to your own and I think have managed to figure it out so will offer to explain where and how I found my lost files.

Like yourself, my computer started copying all these files to dropbox, which I interrupted, and then deleted from dropbox because I didn't think I would have enough space and, more importantly, I didn't ask or WANT my computer copied to dropbox.  After doing this I had a folder titled "My Mac" with three folders inside, "Desktop", "Documents", and "Downloads".  All of which were empty so I deleted them from Dropbox.  Then all those files dissapeared from my computer as well, my desktop was empty, documents folder empty, downloads folder empty!  All that remained was a shortcut folder to some frequently used folders of documents which had some files and folders remaining, but they appeared corrupted and couldnt be opened.  So this is where I found my files and folders and got them back:

• I restarted my computer - the folder containing the remnants of corrupted files appeared to go back to normal, but whenever I attempted to open anything it said the file could not be opened because it was in the trash.  Problem: when I looked in the trash none of the files were in there!
  • In a Finder window I noticed a new folder under the Favourites list on the left called "Desktop".  This was in addition to the normal system folder called "Desktop" where the files sitting on the desktop are usually held.  The new folder had al the files that had dissapeared from my desktop, and after I put them back they reappeared on my desktop and worked fine!
  • So my "Documents" and "Downloads" folders are still empty.  I am doing everything I can find on Dropbox forums and am being advised to do (mostly with dropbox itself) but to no avail. 
  • At some point I become convinced that the missing files are indeed in the Trash but for some reason are being hidden.  Not being a computer expert I don't really know how to unhide them, but I imagine there is a simple way to do this!
  • Using a Finder window and the search function I eventually end up displaying a list of the files in my Trash. Sorry I don't remeber how I did this but I'll attach a picture below.  Everything listed was what is actually in the Trash except for a greyed out folder called... "My Mac"!
  • Inside this folder were "Desktop", "Documents", and "Downloads" folders containing ALL of the missing files!  I couldn't open them because they were still in the Trash (although they still didn't appear in the trash when I looked straight in the bin as usual).  I selected all the files in each folder and dragged them to their proper system folders of the same name and all was back to as it was!

I still don't know why Dropbox started copying all these files in the first place or why they ended up in a hidden folder in my Trash.  I don't know the signifigance of the "My Mac" folder being greyed out when I finally found it using a Finder window but I suspect it's connected to them being hidden.

I wish you the best of luck in getting your computer back together and hope this helps!

Stann579
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you very much for your response. I managed to salvage some files using your suggestions. A lot of the files are unfortunately still gone and, I have since purchased DropBox pro to "rewind" my versions also to no avail. That is tantamount to giving thousand bucks to the kid who kicked you in the nuts. 

If someone can answer me - What is the dot localized (.localized) file created in dropbox? My suspicion is, it is a system generated file acting as a temporary placeholder for when you are doing your maiden synch after downloading the dropbox app into your pc\mac. 

Thank for to the folks who have spent their time trying to help. 

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?