cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files not really deleted

Files not really deleted

TzeVit
Explorer | Level 3

Hi all,

I have an issue with dropbox not really deleting my files. Some time ago I have uploaded some files and shared them using dropbox links. After a while, I made some updates and uploaded new version of files. Then I noticed that these new files had different links compared to old ones. When I deleted new files new link accurately said that file is deleted. However, when I used old links I was still able to access my old files. Those files are not in my dropbox. I can't see them there, but they are still accessible through old links which means that dropbox server still keeps them although I deleted them some time ago. I want all my old files that I have deleted to be removed from dropbox. I have tried to contact dropbox support, but there is no communication channel to talk to employee of dropbox. Is there any way to contact someone so that all my old files are completely deleted from dropbox? 

7 Replies 7

Re: Files not really deleted

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @TzeVit, thanks for messaging the Community!

Could you check to see if the files were deleted from this page?

Were they instead modified and visible on the events page?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

TzeVit
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Jay,

thank you for trying to help me out. Currently there are no files in my https://www.dropbox.com/deleted_files since I always do permanent deletion. I deleted the complete folder with files, but the old links are still valid and I can access the old files through those links. At the same time, I can't find these files within my storage space even when I use search option. It is hard for me to find anything in event page since I don't know the dates when files were last modified.

Jay
Dropboxer
Are you certain that these files were stored on that specific Dropbox account? Do you see any shared links on this page?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

TzeVit
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Jay ,

I only have one dropbox account. On the shared page I see links of folders that I shared before and of files that I have recently uploaded and shared. The files in question are not listed here. As I said before, those files should be deleted and are deleted when I look at my dropbox account, but since I have links to them saved in one pdf file I can still access them through those links. So literally mine files are no longer mine as I have no control over them...  As if dropbox made a backup together with associated links.

Jay
Dropboxer
Thanks for the info, in order to look into this matter in more detail, would it be possible to reach out to the email associated with your forum profile?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

TzeVit
Explorer | Level 3

Dear @Jay ,

yes we can communicate over the email. Do you already have it? If you do feel free to contact me and I can provide you with more information.

Best regards,

Vladislav

Jay
Dropboxer
Thanks, I've sent you an email, please could you reply as soon as possible!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    TzeVit Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?