cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Files not uploading automatically until dropbox app opened

Helpful | Level 5

I've been having this intermittent issue for over a year now on my S7 running stock android.

The symptom is that I notice that photos have not been uploaded for several days. I go into the dropbox app, the recent photos are usually visible and then suddenly the photos start to upload. Sometimes the upload bar indicates there are photos left but the progress bar seems stuck for an unknown reason. Wifi/internet is fine as other apps are all working, ditto charge level. Background uploading is enabled.

I've lost count of how many times I've toggled sync, reinstalled the app, cleared cache etc. etc. so I'm no longer going to do any of that, but the behaviour persistently remains i.e. I have to open the app before uploads resume.

Is there any proper diagnosis possible of what is going wrong?

9 Replies 9
Highlighted

Re: Files not uploading automatically until dropbox app opened

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi Bruno, what settings have you enabled for camera uploads, namely regarding WiFi or cellular data, and battery level?

Are there videos on your device waiting to upload? What does the Photos tab say at the top?

Any info you can provide, including screenshots would be great!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Camera uploads are set to disabled for cellular data and battery level 30%.

Will grab screenshots when the issue returns. Of course since I've opened the app to verify the settings, photos are uploading fine for now ...

How would I know if there are videos waiting to upload? I have the same issue with them as with photos.

The Photos tab now says " (1 left) Couldn't upload photo. Tap for more info."

The 'more info' is the usual stuff that I've tried already with no difference. Unfortunately it doesn't indicate which file is the issue. :-(

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Another thread refers the above error https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Mobile/Camera-uploads-has-a-stuck-photo/td-p/318063

But the "fix" is the usual delete app cache, restart phone yada yada so not really a fix rather a temporary workaround, since every time I've done this the issue returns.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
If the image can’t be uploaded, then there might be some issue with it. Perhaps it’s corrupted, or not supported, or some other issue with the image. 

You’ll need to manually compare the files uploaded to the camera uploads folder to the images already on your device and see if you can locate the image which isn’t on the Dropbox site.

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

As said before this is an intermittent issue, all files upload eventually after opening the app or by doing the cache delete so I don't see how there's anything wrong with the files per se.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Depending on the Android OS, there is a possibility that the system is closing the Dropbox mobile app in the background, even if it was uploading images, in order to save battery.

If possible, try whitelisting the app from such power saving settings. This could even be in the developer menu, so I don’t recommend making any changes if you’re not sure about this.

Jay

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Good point. However under Device Maintenance, the stock rom's Powersaving mode is already turned off and App power monitor disabled too. I can't see anything relevant under the Devel options.

However given the temporary workaround, it does point to a fundamental issue with the app's syncing process. I would imagine that there could/should be an error log somewhere ...

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Would it be okay if we emailed you at the address associated with your Dropbox account to investigate this matter further?

Jay

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Sure, no problem.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?