cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Files online when I checked Local option

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I am a bit frustrated with dropbox , I transferred big folders to the dropbox folder and decided later than I wanted to move them back to the original folder on the computer. When I started I realized that all the folders had the files uploaded and were not on the computer anymore .
The Local option was checked not online only so I really don't understand why files had to be downloaded from Dropbox server before I could transfer them back to the other drive . I am on trial period and it's not a good start because I am worried now that important files might not be where I expect them to be . How the folders were online only when the Local was checked on the Sync option ?

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Files online when I checked Local option

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @glpseattle, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with Smart Sync files!

Can you just clarify for me, did you make all these changes from the local Dropbox folder on your computer? Were the files all local  before you made the moves?

If you check the current default sync settings with the steps below, can you let me know if they're set to sync online only or local?

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray/menu bar.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "Preferences..."
  4. Go to the "Sync" tab.
  5. Check the option for how you want new files to sync.

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?