cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files replaced with old versions

Files replaced with old versions

ralphAcosta
Helpful | Level 5

Arrgh! Wednesday 01/27/2021 i opened a Word document and found all changes i had made in the last month were missing. It turned out that no files in my folder showed edit dates after 12/28/2020. I finally suspected that the only way old versions of files could be found to replace current versions was if Dropbox had restored from an old backup. Do they do this? If so, how can i get this repaired? A response by a user named "Lusil" to a similar post indicated the user got help from a "Recovery team" to restore at least some files to their newer versions. How can i contact such a team about this issue? It was really gut-wrenching to realize a month of work was gone. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Files replaced with old versions

ralphAcosta
Helpful | Level 5

Walter, thanks for replying! I got my data back! Lost by some still unknown process, but recovered by accident! A couple of days before my updates were lost, my wife attempted to sign on to her Dropbox on my laptop and Dropbox did what it apparently does, and saved a backup under my username. I got all that straightened out, but left that backup (for reasons unknown). When i read your reply, it triggered that memory and sure enough, my original data was there! Yay! I carefully restored everything from the backup and Dropbox synced it up to the sky, no problem. Due to significant medical issues for both my wife and me in the last couple of months, i had gotten sloppy doing my normal backups to usb sticks (plural). Not now! If i'd kept that up, i would have been irritated that Dropbox hiccuped, but it wouldn't have been significant. Now, whether space aliens invade or the apocalypse happens, i'm backing up before i attend to it. Thanks again. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @ralphAcosta; thanks for joining the Community and sorry to hear about this. 

It sounds like the desktop app on your computer wasn't syncing when you were editing your files. Do you remember if it was showing 'up to date' or syncing in your menu bar/system tray around that time?

When you look at your files on our website, do you see any of the versions of the file(s) you're looking for? 

If not, can you see any sign of them in your events page?

This is the place where all uploads, edits and deletions are normally logged so it should give you a hint. 

Keep me posted on your findings!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ralphAcosta
Helpful | Level 5

Walter, thanks for replying! I got my data back! Lost by some still unknown process, but recovered by accident! A couple of days before my updates were lost, my wife attempted to sign on to her Dropbox on my laptop and Dropbox did what it apparently does, and saved a backup under my username. I got all that straightened out, but left that backup (for reasons unknown). When i read your reply, it triggered that memory and sure enough, my original data was there! Yay! I carefully restored everything from the backup and Dropbox synced it up to the sky, no problem. Due to significant medical issues for both my wife and me in the last couple of months, i had gotten sloppy doing my normal backups to usb sticks (plural). Not now! If i'd kept that up, i would have been irritated that Dropbox hiccuped, but it wouldn't have been significant. Now, whether space aliens invade or the apocalypse happens, i'm backing up before i attend to it. Thanks again. 

View solution in original post

Walter
Dropboxer
No worries @ralphAcosta; I'm just glad you managed to resolve this in the end!

Enjoy the remainder of your week and stay safe! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

rolfmueller
Explorer | Level 4
Hello,
you could write to Dropbox support
Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?