cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files saved by apps to original Documents (non-Dropbox) location

Files saved by apps to original Documents (non-Dropbox) location

New member | Level 2

I have an app that keeps saving files to my c:confused face:users/username/Documents location rather that to my c:confused face:users/Dropbox...../Documents location. Does that mean the files won't be backed up by Dropbox, or does Dropbox continue to scan the old location and move files from there?

3 Replies 3

Re: Files saved by apps to original Documents (non-Dropbox) location

Dropboxer

Hi there @assiaalex; welcome to the Dropbox Community!

You may need to tamper with the 3rd party app's settings to point it to the new path of your Documents; assuming that you enabled the computer backup feature on your computer. 

Let me know how it goes in case you give it a try! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

Hi, Walter!

I already contacted the app's tech support - and changing their path is not an option. So is the answer to my first question 'no'? As in "No, Dropbox, does not re-scan the old Documents location?"

thanks much!

Dropboxer

After backup, those folders, and the files within them, are still accessible from the same place on your computer, while also backed up to Dropbox. 

You can access those folders, which are backed up under  “My PC [Your device name]”, from anywhere you use Dropbox, such as dropbox.com, the Dropbox mobile app, and the Dropbox desktop app on other computers. 

Any changes or deletions you make to those folders from your computer, or in Dropbox, will be reflected in both places. The same principle should apply if a 3rd party app is involved, but your mileage may vary, depending the app you're going to use for this and the way it was designed to work. 

If you find the chance to give it a go, please let me know the results here @assiaalex

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?