cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Files should be Local, but are not syncing

Explorer | Level 4

Having a lot of trouble accessing my files in the way I need on a new computer. Basically, I want everything from my selected Dropbox folders to be available locally, NOT online. Under smart sync settings, I selected "local", rather than "online only". The files have clearly not synced, as they all have the grey cloud icon next to them and only sync when I manually open them. However, when I check the Dropbox app on my computer, it says "up to date", rather than "x days to sync". 

Does anyone have thoughts on how to fix this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Files should be Local, but are not syncing

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there; sorry to jump in!

Can you try right clicking on the files/folders that show the grey cloud icon and set them to be 'Local' through the Smart Sync options you get?

That should do the trick 

Please keep me posted! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10
Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Have you checked if Selective Sync is with "Select All" box selected?

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
No, but I have all the files I need selected.
Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Do you have enough space?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there; sorry to jump in!

Can you try right clicking on the files/folders that show the grey cloud icon and set them to be 'Local' through the Smart Sync options you get?

That should do the trick 

Please keep me posted! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

This was the issue, thank you!

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I have the EXACT same problem!  And when I try to open a file, I get an error message "Smart Sync Download failed to download - Dropbox is having trouble connecting...:"  - I NEED my files!   ANY fix will be greatly appreciated!

Highlighted

Unable to open files locally

Explorer | Level 3

New desktop - installed DropBox and I see my files with the cloud icon but even when set to "local" they are not downloading and I can't access them.  I get a "Smart Sync Download error message always saying, "Dropbox is having trouble connecting" -- so I can't access the file locally or get it off the cloud. 

I NEED all my files locally on this large hard drive!   Ideas?  ANYTHING will be appreciated to fix this issue.

I'd lilke to turn OFF Smart Sync on this machine -- but... how?

Highlighted

Re: Unable to open files locally

Super User II
Super User II

What does Dropbox say if you mouse over its icon on the status bar? Sounds like its having some connection issues

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Re: Unable to open files locally

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your time to respond... we have great connectivity -- all speeds very good with both ethernet when used and wifi so that's not the problem.... could my VPN (Nord) be causing this?   Dunno -- shouldn't make a difference.  

Just trying to get ALL my files locally -- but they aren't downloading to my large hard drive.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?