cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files still on local computer after marking as online only

Highlighted

Files still on local computer after marking as online only

Explorer | Level 3

Hi, Using Smart Sync for the first time in a bit to free up space on laptop.

I've marked lots of folders as 'on line only' on the laptop but they are still showing on the laptop and disk space has not changed.

When I view the list of folders, i can see the greyed cloud icon beside each of the folders I've marked so I'm pretty sure it has taken effect.

I've restarted the laptop but nothing changes.

Am I supposed to manually delete them from the laptop as well or is there something else i am missing?

Any ideas?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Files still on local computer after marking as online only

Helpful | Level 5

Hey Daphne,

Yes I did reinstall dropbox, but this time I made sure to keep the files online only.  Now they aren't taking up any space on my laptop from the get-go which is what I was after either way.  So, the reset kindof worked out the problem naturally.

Thank you,

Dan

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @Windspeed, let's see what we can find on this. 

Could you let me know as a first step what comes up when you hover over the Dropbox icon that's next to your computer's clock? 

Also, a screenshot of the storage discrepancy would be really helpful. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

Thanks for your speedy reply but, sadly, the laptop screen died before I could get the details you asked for. Hopefully new screen will be here is a day or two and I can get the details once it is repaired.

i.e. I hope to have details for you in a day or two.

Thanks again

Chris

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

I have the *exact* same problem as described in the question.  I highlighted all the files under "Dropbox" on my laptop, highlighted "Smart Sync" selected "Online Only" to change all files to online only.  There is a total of 12.74 GB of space on my dropbox that was on my laptop.  The disc space on my laptop available before doing "online only" was 30.8 GB.  The disc space after selecting "online only" is 30.8 GB... So nothing changed, these files were not removed from the local drive of my laptop.

I hope this explanation is more detailed to help the staff in answering the question because I don't think snapping a screenshot of "30.8 GB" on the storage screen is going to help.

These files originally had the "green check mark" before I clicked "online only."  They now changed to that "grey cloud" as indicated in the original question so I would think based on all the youtube videos and discussion board I've read in the last 3 hours I should have freed up space.

When I try to delete any of these local files, it tells me that I'm about to delete them from my dropbox account and I should cancel if I want them to be online only?  ok... but I already did that?  makes no sense

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey there @Dan1mal; thanks for joining the discussion here.

If the desktop app has finished syncing your changes and it shows 'up to date' in your menu bar/system tray, then the space might be taken up by the cache folder on your computer.

Could this be the case here? 

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for responding Walter.  Unfortunately, I ended up getting a BSOD error on my PC shortly after my post that I tried to troubleshoot for about a day.  Eventually we ended up having to reset the PC and wipe it completely.  However, Dropbox did keep my files backed up online.

Thanks again,

Dan

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Sorry to hear about the troubles you had with your PC @Dan1mal!

Have you since installed the Dropbox app on your device again? If so, does it still show the files taking space on your computer?

Daphne

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Hey Daphne,

Yes I did reinstall dropbox, but this time I made sure to keep the files online only.  Now they aren't taking up any space on my laptop from the get-go which is what I was after either way.  So, the reset kindof worked out the problem naturally.

Thank you,

Dan

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer

I'm glad to hear that @Dan1mal!

If you have any other trouble with this, don't hesitate to give us a nudge here. 😁

Hope you have a great rest of your week!

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?