cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files stuck "downloading", PC not syncing, CPU overloading!

Files stuck "downloading", PC not syncing, CPU overloading!

Karl H.4
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

A couple of days ago I noticed that my Dropbox sync was "downloading 11 files" for a long time. I could not figure out which files (because there's apparently no direct way to do so) but I went looking for blue or red sync icons.  I couldn't really find anything because the icons would not all appear; windows explorer kept hanging while displaying the icons.

Today I noticed that nothing was syncing from this computer, and it was still stuck on "downloading 11 files". Exasperated, I removed a large mixed-state folder from local sync that I suspected was the problem.  I ended up with "downloading 20 files" and still nothing syncing properly.  (The folder I removed is still there, although Dropbox was very busy just after I removed it from local sync.)

There's now a huge drag on my system as Dropbox monopolizes my CPU. I can't even see the sync icons any more because Windows Explorer hangs indefinitely if I go to any icon view.  I've had to turn off Dropbox just to use my PC.

I have: restarted Dropbox.  Updated Dropbox to 91.4.548.  Restarted my PC.  I am on Windows 10.  Thanks for any help!

15 Replies 15

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for joining us @rpbergman!

Just to double check with you, when you go to the "Account" tab can you try clicking in the blank space in that window and then hold the space bar key to see if the options appear?

You may need to hold down the space bar key for a short amount of time before you see the option. Please be careful not to mistakenly unlink your account.

Can you let me know what the sync status is showing you exactly? Do you not see the number of syncing files decreasing at all?

Also, which version of the desktop app do you currently have installed?

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

PKM
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Daphne,

Same problem here.  Status icon rollover showed:

Dropbox 95.4.441

Uploading 1 file...

Downloading 12 files (0.0 Kb/sec, 2+ days)

I could not get Dropbox to upload the 1 file or download the 12 files and my CPU was going crazy.  I could never find any 'fix links' button under Account.

Here is how I solved it:

Found two folders without green check marks that are part of a higher-level subfolder that is shared.  These subfolders were created by the other person I shared with.  First, I unshared the higher-level folder that includes the two unsynched folders (I let the other person keep a copy).  I then closed DropBox and moved the higher level folder to my Desktop (outside of DropBox).  I then re-opened DropBox and after a fairly lengthy process of syncing, it now shows "Up to date" and my CPU is no longer going crazy.  Dropbox re-downloaded the folder I had moved to my Desktop.  I deleted the folder that Dropbox had downloaded and moved my copy of that folder from Desktop back to where it was in DropBox.  After DropBox indexing and re-uploading the contents (about 70 files and subfolders), Dropbox is now "Up to date".   I will now re-share the same subfolder and hopefully the problem will not happen again.    

perdomini
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am still with the problems after trying every thing on this post. It´s worst now, I unchecked the folders on selective sync and when I checked then back, they just say "downloading 3000 files" and does not do anything.

It´s only on one of my synced devices, the others works just fine...

Please help.

Brandy S.4
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I am also having this problem. I have smart sync enabled. There is nothing that appears when I try to hold down the space bar. (Could that be a Mac vs Windows problem??? I'm running Windows 10 on my PC) I'm stuck with Dropbox saying it is downloading 49.853 files, and my CPU is so overwhelmed that it is slowing everything down exponentially and/or making it where the program shows as Not Responding. I've attempted to change the settings and basically make everything Online Only so it would stop attempting to sync files across devices.... That isn't working either.

PLEASE HELP.

Brandy S.4
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
And could someone PLEASE update this thread so it no longer says "SOLVED" because obviously, there's multiple people who are having issues and the posted solution hasn't worked.

PKM
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Try this: Stop all syncing.  Go to File Explorer and see which folders that are in Dropbox do not have a green checkmark (not synced).  Move the unsynced content to a place on your hard drive that has no DropBox shared folders.  Simply unselecting the folder in selective sync does not seem to work.  Then restart DropBox syning again.  Do not use Selective Sync setting.  Actually move the files.  If that still does not work, look for more files/folders without the green check mark that should be synced but are not.  Move those.  Eventually, you should be able to run DropBox sync and it should say Up to Date.  If copies redownload from others' shared folders, see if that works.  If not, delete those files/folders (make sure you are deleting only files/folders you previously copied).  Then DropBox should work again.  Then start copying back the previously moved files/folders to their original place, which should reset them in DropBox.  I found that this hack worked.  The only other issue you might check is if a file name used by you or others is too long.  Or, if you place a shared folder at the end of a long list of senior subfolders.  If I shortened the offending file name or moved the shared folder to a more senior level folder position, that seemed to solve the sync problem.  Hope this helps.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

PKM New member | Level 2
    Brandy S.4 New member | Level 2
    perdomini New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?