cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files stuck syncing. I'm not having internet issues or anything. Is there a fix?

Highlighted

Files stuck syncing. I'm not having internet issues or anything. Is there a fix?

Explorer | Level 3

I'm having an annoying issue with dropbox, where it was, 100% of the time, always uploading one file. I was unable to figure out which files were that, so i tried deleting the last modified one ("shown on the 'last 30 days'", even though I hadnt changed anything on it in these last days) But that just made the issue worse: Dropbox is now trying to sync 5 files: 2 being indexed, 1 being sent, and two being downloaded. Went to the 'bad names check', but it will just hang my PC. I'd like to know if there is a way to know which files are being synced, and also a potential fix for this. I'm not having internet issues or anything, it's just really annoying to have the icon always uploading something.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Files stuck syncing. I'm not having internet issues or anything. Is there a fix?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @karelk @David12!

Seems like your Dropbox desktop app was a little stuck at some point @karelk. If just quiting and restarting the app helped, my first advise is to make sure you reboot your computer a bit more often. If this happens a lot, I'd be happy to check device details via email. Let me know. 

@David12 I will give you steps to help the desktop app locate these files and sync them. 

⚠️ It is very important to follow these steps specifically in order, as failure to do so may result in other issues:

1. Make sure the Dropbox desktop application is running

2. Click on the Dropbox icon in your menu bar and then click on the gear in the Notifications panel

3. Select 'Preferences'

4. Click on the 'Account' tab, and then click in the window under the tab (just anywhere will do)

5. Hold down the 'Space' key

6. Click on the 'Fix Hardlinks' button

7. You may be prompted for your a username and password, this is your computer login credentials, not your Dropbox account ones

8. Please wait about ten minutes to see if Dropbox resumes syncing.

If the above steps don’t resolve your issue, please repeat steps 1→5, but at step 6, this time click on the “Fix Permissions” button. 

Please note that if you use “Fix Permissions” syncing will start back over. If you need to use this step, please allow for a few hours to pass.

If the issue persists I will personally look into it via email if this is OK with you. 

Thank you! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10
Highlighted

Re: Files always syncing

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @David12

I hope this comment finds you "Up to date". 

If you are still syncing, let me know what version of the application is giving you this problem? 

Is your syncing status still the same now? 2  indexed, 1 uploading and 2 downloaded? 

This issue could be a result of a security program scanning these files. What happens if you reboot the device, temporarily disable your antivirus and restart the Dropbox desktop application? 

Thank you for the additional info! 

Fiona

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Re: Files always syncing

Explorer | Level 3

89.4.278 is the version that shows on the popup
I'm on windows, only using the native virus protection. I disabled 'real time protection' from windows after a restart, closed dropbox and opened it again, the same 5 files are still being modified. 'Tamper protection' was always disabled. 

Is there a way to find out which files are those? Any other procedures to be tried?

Highlighted

Re: Files stuck syncing. I'm not having internet issues or anything. Is there a fix?

Explorer | Level 3

Good Day

I have got the same issue.  Also on version 89.4.278.  It says indexing 17 files but nothing seems to be happening.  

When I close Dropbox in the taskbar and reopen, suddenly it syncs and the indexing/syncing icon/process goes away. 

Dropbox please can you assist?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @karelk @David12!

Seems like your Dropbox desktop app was a little stuck at some point @karelk. If just quiting and restarting the app helped, my first advise is to make sure you reboot your computer a bit more often. If this happens a lot, I'd be happy to check device details via email. Let me know. 

@David12 I will give you steps to help the desktop app locate these files and sync them. 

⚠️ It is very important to follow these steps specifically in order, as failure to do so may result in other issues:

1. Make sure the Dropbox desktop application is running

2. Click on the Dropbox icon in your menu bar and then click on the gear in the Notifications panel

3. Select 'Preferences'

4. Click on the 'Account' tab, and then click in the window under the tab (just anywhere will do)

5. Hold down the 'Space' key

6. Click on the 'Fix Hardlinks' button

7. You may be prompted for your a username and password, this is your computer login credentials, not your Dropbox account ones

8. Please wait about ten minutes to see if Dropbox resumes syncing.

If the above steps don’t resolve your issue, please repeat steps 1→5, but at step 6, this time click on the “Fix Permissions” button. 

Please note that if you use “Fix Permissions” syncing will start back over. If you need to use this step, please allow for a few hours to pass.

If the issue persists I will personally look into it via email if this is OK with you. 

Thank you! 

Fiona

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I don't have a gear icon when I open dropbox, under notifications. But I went to preferences, clicked on accounts, then tried randomly clicking on areas underneath that and holding down the space bar, but nothing happened. Don't know where to find the 'fix' button. 

Under accounts, mine says

Space: 9.0% of 2.0 TB Used.

Account linking: so & so's drop box (soandso@emailaddress.com) - - [Unlink this Dropbox]

Where I am supposed to hold down the space bar?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @mrarealtor; thanks for joining the discussion here.

Instead of the space key when on your account's tab from within the app's preferences as @Fiona mentioned, could you try holding the option/alt key (for Macs) or 'Alt+h' (for Windows)? 

You should see those buttons come up when pressing option/alt+H so please let me know if you're not getting those options at all.

Thanks!

Walter

Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Whoa, pressing alt+ H worked and pulled up those options! Thanks!

2 days ago I just unlinked and relinked my dropbox account and now it's not stuck on any files. But if it happens again, I'll try this option to see if it fixes the issue. Thanks !

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

If you're on a Mac use the Option key instead of the space bar.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I'm having the same problem. One of my folders is syncing forever. But, when I try the 5. Hold down the 'Space' key, nothing happens. What can I do?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?