cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Files transferred unexpectedly

Explorer | Level 4

Eek! After I opened my laptop, a new dropbox software update (?) installed. While syncing it began to add hundreds of photos into a new folder. I can't figure from what file on my computer because it doesn't match any thing. It includes photos I had deleted from my desktop. I checked the phone app and the camera phone auto transfer is off.
I also opened my desktop, and it too updated the software.  I was able to pause the transfer there. Then I restarted and closes drop box  to stop the transfer.
In addition, one of my folders is now empty. When I looked in restore it has hunderd moer files that what should be in the orignal.

What the heck? Any ideas? This is not cool.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Files transferred unexpectedly

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional details @jemh; they definitely help paint a better picture of the matter at hand.

This Awesome Voice Recorder you see there seems like a 3rd party app that's connected to your account and it might also be the culprit behind the issue you noticed. 

Can you take a look at your account's connected app's tab to see if that's the case?

Until we speak again, have a lovely weekend!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @jemh; how are you today?

Can you please forward me the exact status of the desktop app as shown within your computer's system tray and a screenshot of how this looks like on your end so I can advise further? 

Thanks! 

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

This is the desktop screen shot.  Screenshot 2020-03-19 dropbox.png

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Oh.

One of the clues might be that many of the files have an HEIC format extension. I see that is an iphone format. Which would make sense if I didnt delete the icloud photo file but only from the application view. Thus, I think this is the origin of auto download. But as I stated, the iphone camera share was off.

And doesn't explain my screen shot file changed data. (enptied but has hundreds more than exected in the recovery file.) 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshot @jemh!

So the app seems to be 'Up to date' which means you're fully synced.  

Can you take a look at your account's events page now and let me know what you find reported there? Your events page is the place where all adds, edits and deletes are normally logged so it should you give you a hint or two on what might have happened. 

Keep me posted! 

Walter

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

That's a cool trick. Events...

I see this is related to iCloud. I did create the 2 folders on iCloud yesterday. And they were deleted prior to opening dropbox. Not the "Chat with"  however. The time frame matches the opening of dropbox on my laptop and desktop with the updated software. I don't know where the sync happened between drop box and icloud.  Not a method I choose. Can you tell where to make sure that doesn't happen again? And what is this Awesome Voice Recorder listed on the events dropdown? 

Screenshot events.png

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional details @jemh; they definitely help paint a better picture of the matter at hand.

This Awesome Voice Recorder you see there seems like a 3rd party app that's connected to your account and it might also be the culprit behind the issue you noticed. 

Can you take a look at your account's connected app's tab to see if that's the case?

Until we speak again, have a lovely weekend!

Walter

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Yep. Sneaky stuff. I don't know how I gave permission to this. I disconnected and will change password.

Thanks for walking me through this. It seems harder to keep connected and private all the time.

J

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for keeping me in the loop @jemh!

Sometimes all it takes is just a message prompt and a (mis)click on the OK option for such hiccups to take place. 

Nonetheless, I'm glad to hear this is sorted now and I'm always a post away if any questions come up. 

Stay safe and happy Monday! 

Walter

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?