cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We're back with another cheat sheet to make your 2022 easier than ever! Check out our tips here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files uploaded by a specific user only visible in browser but not in file explorer (Windows 10)

Files uploaded by a specific user only visible in browser but not in file explorer (Windows 10)

BenAcegVZW
Explorer | Level 4

Hello everybody,

This is a very strange issue that I have been experiencing recently. First some info:

I am using a desktop running windows 10, a laptop running windows 10 and a macbook pro running MacOs X Mojave. Our company has a 25TB dropbox account.

The problem i have been experiencing is that when a specific user in our team uploads a file in dropbox it is not visible/synced to any of my windows PC's. The file is however visible in the explorer of my mac, and also via and internet browser.

I have tried the following, nothing has been succesfull.

• I have turned on "show hidden files" in windows.
  • I have checked that the folder in question is being synced
  • I reinstalled dropbox

For ex. there is a folder containing 3 files, on my windows box I only see 1 of the 3 files (see pictures).

Let me know if further information is required.

Thanks in advance

dropbox 2.PNGdropbox 1.PNG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Files uploaded by a specific user only visible in browser but not in file explorer (Windows 10)

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @BenAcegVZW - welcome to the Dropbox Community! 

Thanks so much for providing the screenshot Ben - it's really appreciated and definitely helps in painting a clearer picture of the matter at hand!

For context, there are some characters (letters, symbols, or numbers) that may be incompatible with the operating system on your computer. For a complete list please check this Help Center article:

To be able to see those files on your Windows devices, you'll need to remove the colon ( : ) from their names.

I hope this helps and apologies for the late reply; your post had been caught by our Spam filter due to its length probably. 

Let me know if you have any additional questions; I'll be happy to follow up!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Re: Files uploaded by a specific user only visible in browser but not in file explorer (Windows 10)

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @BenAcegVZW - welcome to the Dropbox Community! 

Thanks so much for providing the screenshot Ben - it's really appreciated and definitely helps in painting a clearer picture of the matter at hand!

For context, there are some characters (letters, symbols, or numbers) that may be incompatible with the operating system on your computer. For a complete list please check this Help Center article:

To be able to see those files on your Windows devices, you'll need to remove the colon ( : ) from their names.

I hope this helps and apologies for the late reply; your post had been caught by our Spam filter due to its length probably. 

Let me know if you have any additional questions; I'll be happy to follow up!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

BenAcegVZW
Explorer | Level 4

@walter

Right! It's so obvious I cant believe i didn't see this myself....

Thanks a bunch, changing the filename solved the issue. I will let the Mac users know to stop using special characters.

Best regards,

Ben

Walter
Dropboxer

Ah, we all get these moments @BenAcegVZW - don't worry; we're always here to hepl!

Thank you for the quick update on this - I'm glad this worked out well for you. 

If you ever come up with a Dropbox question, don't hesitate to reach out; we're merely a post away Ben!

Have a lovely day/night. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    BenAcegVZW Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?