cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files were deleted from a shared folder, how can they be recovered?

Files were deleted from a shared folder, how can they be recovered?

Explorer | Level 3

I shared a file with several people and did not realize one of them was assigned "can edit". She deleted all the files on July 26. I went to deleted files and they aren't there even when I change the "deleted by" to include everyone. Does this mean she permanently deleted them? There were almost a hundred files in there that are gone! She claims she has not been on Dropbox at all and has no idea why the files say they have been deleted by her in "folder history". What can I do to recover these files?

3 Replies 3

Re: Deleted files

Dropboxer

Hello @ktopolinski, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Can you check in your Events page here and check for any actions related to the files that you're looking for?

Also, if you do a search in your account for one of the missing file names, do you find any results?

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Yes! In events it has that she deleted the files on 6/26. I clicked on the file names and it brings up a list of all the files saying "deleted" next to them but none of them are clickable. If I search for a file in all my files it does not come up.

My coworker (a different one) did have the files on his computer and was able to upload them back into Dropbox but I'm still curious if there is a way to resolve this were it ever to happen again.

Thank you!

Dropboxer

Thanks for the update on this matter @ktopolinski.

If those files were deleted your account's recovery window, then it's normal that you're unable to restore them from there. This is 30 days for the Basic, Plus and Family plans while it extends to 120 days for the Professional one and our Business plans for teams. 

In any case, I'm glad you were able to find them through a colleague of yours and please let us know if you have any follow up questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?