cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files will NOT delete. No procedures work to delete them

Highlighted

Files will NOT delete. No procedures work to delete them

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have spent the last 5 hours trying to delete a few files from Dropbox on my Mac laptop.  I unlinked all my devices and deleted the files from the browser but the files keep reappearing on the laptop.  This is very disturbing for several reasons.  It happens when I have quit Dropbox on my laptop.  They still keep coming back.  Of course I tried deleting from the laptop itself, but they come back immediately.  I can't find any processes to delete.  Is there some old Dropbox software that is doing this?  I have wasted so much time on this.  I read all the online info that I could find.  Nothing works.

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Files will NOT delete. No procedures work to delete them

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @rexster621, thanks for posting today!

I'm sorry to hear about this. It's possible that the site isn't refreshing after deleting the files. 

Could you try switching browsers to see if this helps? Otherwise, use incognito/private browsing mode without any extensions running, clearing your cache and even resetting your browser entirely. 

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

To be clear, the files I am deleting are being restored on my computer in the Dropbox folder, it is not an issue with Dropbox in a browser.  I cleared caches on my Mac, restarted my system - they still come back.  The files are stderr.log and stdout.log.  I realize those names are unix-related, but from what I can tell they are not linked to any application on my Mac.  The files will not delete from my computer.  When I disconnect wifi and shut down dropbox and delete the files, they are replaced immediately into my Dropbox folder.   

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

It sounds like there must be an app that is using the Dropbox folder for some reason, so deleting them will restore them back into the folder.

Since this is occurring when the Dropbox app is closed, this confirms that another app is creating the files. As to which app, it wouldn't be possible to say, but since those files seem quite specific, perhaps a search for the current apps you're running on the internet might help. 

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?