cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files with same Name copy in Folder

Files with same Name copy in Folder

cor82
New member | Level 2
Hello!
I export from my iPhone a lot of files to an dropbox folder, many have the same file name. Starting out Dropbpox would allow multiple files with the same file name and just assign it a number at the end. Now a window pops up alerting me of duplicate file names and asking me to select to overwrite or to abort. It would save me a lot of time if I didn't have to do this with each copy. I don't understand why I was able to do this with hundreds of images/files before and all of a sudden it won't allow me to do it. I think there was an update of the Dropbox mobile iOS app. Any recommendations?
4 Replies 4

dimich
Helpful | Level 5

Looks like dropbox just changed the way they handle duplicate file names. I just tested it on my iphone, and get the same message. I didn't find a way to change a behavior. The only thing you can do, is submit a feature request to them asking to bring back the old behavior. Good luck!

cor82
New member | Level 2
It would be very nice if Dropbox could change it back or implement an option that the user can choose.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Hey @dimich & @cor82, welcome both to our Community! 

Your feedback regarding the way our app handles exports has been very valuable and I will endeavor to make sure your voice is heard. 

We listen to your needs because it allows us to fully appreciate how Dropbox fits into and influences your daily routine.

If you need anything else, you know where to find us.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

All Clouds Are Bunnys
Explorer | Level 4
I’ve been struggling with the same issue. I don’t know how to change this as I used to be able to save a lot of different files with the same name and dropbox. It would automatically add a number at the end of each of these files… It was a very fast and convenient way for me to be able to sort out all of the images when using a specific name to save multiple files under. I want to change it back!
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

All Clouds Are Bunnys Explorer | Level 4
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    cor82 New member | Level 2
    dimich Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?