cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files won't load on computer after uploading to drop box

Files won't load on computer after uploading to drop box

mws_1984
Explorer | Level 3

I loaded a bunch of stuff off my current PC over to drop box. Now I find if I go to access it on this computer sometimes it won't load or says that it can't open the file. I was using spreadsheets now it has them as .xlr files. Some stuff will load others it says it can't access it and loads up a blank spreadsheet. What is going on here? 

5 Replies 5

Re: Files won't load on computer after uploading to drop box

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @mws_1984, thanks for messaging the Community!

In general, Dropbox doesn't change your files, or their file extensions, if moving or syncing them to another machine.

What happens if you attempt to rename the extension, does the file open normally?

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mws_1984
Explorer | Level 3

It appears that it might be because I was trying to access the file from the original location on the computer which was a file called 
"documents" Now it is in the dropbox folder of computer. Just messed with it a little and that might be my issue. 

Jay
Dropboxer
Okay, so in that case it means you've enabled the computer backup feature, since the Documents folder has been moved.

Could you try disabling the feature to see if this helps?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mws_1984
Explorer | Level 3

Not sure how I'd disable the feature? Right now it appears it has duplicate files I guess you could say. Original files in original folders then fact that it is backed up there is a drop box folder on my computer. Just as long as once I move things to a new computer I can access them then I'll be happy. I haven't set up the new computer yet. But I won't be getting rid of old one til I know everything is safe. 

Rich
Super User II

@mws_1984 wrote:

Right now it appears it has duplicate files I guess you could say. Original files in original folders then fact that it is backed up there is a drop box folder on my computer.

Probably not. The computer backup feature doesn't create a second copy of the folders in Dropbox. It MOVES the Desktop, Documents and Downloads folders into your Dropbox folder. There's still only one copy. Delete a file in Dropbox and it's deleted from your computer.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    mws_1984 Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?