cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finder Errors and Dropbox Message Issue

Finder Errors and Dropbox Message Issue

EgonX
Explorer | Level 4

So, having an odd issue here and I can't figure out what's going on.

I had files that were being synced from another computer to my Dropbox account. Then I picked them up on another machine and transferred them to an external drive. Ok, that wasn't an issue.

Now, however, I wanted to change the workflow to leave the files in my Dropbox folder for a longer period of time. So I wanted to move them back to the Dropbox folder from my external drive. 

So the problem. If I attempt to move the files back to my Dropbox folder I get the following error.

IMAGE 2021-10-10 11_19_12.jpg

If I try to move the files anywhere else? I get This error:

Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 11.22.10 AM.png

 And the previous one about 10 times.

I have used dot_clean on both my external folder and the drop box folder. But, no joy. The File is good, because it expands in place on the drive without any issues and everything is as it should be. However, I can't move it. What is Dropbox doing that they are keeping track of files moved OUT of Dropbox on my computer?

And... How do I fix this?

7 Replies 7

Re: Finder Errors and Dropbox Message Issue

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @EgonX, thanks for reaching out and happy Monday!

When you initially moved these files from your Dropbox folder to the external, were they set to local or online-only (through Smart sync)?

If they were online-only, I guess this would make sense as you would have moved placeholder files to the external and not the actual files.

If you unzip the files within the external and then move them back to the Dropbox folder, what do you see?

Keep me posted!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

EgonX
Explorer | Level 4

I have dropbox setup for Local, and I have it setup to put everything on my local machine.

I just copied some files out of my dropbox into a local drive and now every file is popping up about

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 10.43.29 AM.png

 What's going on here, is this that Kernel Extension thing you guys did a few years ago? You shouldn't be tracking anything after I move something out of Dropbox.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @EgonX, do the files you're moving out of the Dropbox folder have a green tick on them, or a cloud icon?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

EgonX
Explorer | Level 4

Well, these are Files that weren't even IN dropbox. They started in Dropbox and I moved them. Now, I can't move them anywhere else.

Jay
Dropboxer
I understand that, I meant before you moved them out of Dropbox, did they have a green tick or an cloud icon? 

The prompt you received implies they were online-only files, which can only be read by Dropbox. 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

EgonX
Explorer | Level 4

I don't remember, these files were moved over a month ago

Jay
Dropboxer
It does sound like these were online-only files, so there's no actual data on them for you to view the file itself.

Do you see any events of the file in question to see if you can recover it from there?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    EgonX Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?