cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding Indexing Files

Highlighted

Finding Indexing Files

Explorer | Level 3

Hi all,

I have been migrating a massive number of files into Dropbox, and I have 4 files that are stuck indexing. I would like to be able to find these among the thousands of files without searching manaully (which I have been doing, but obviously it takes an eternity). I have tried https://www.dropbox.com/bad_files_check but it does not appear to be working....

Thanks so much!

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Re: Finding Indexing Files

Dropboxer

Hey @lbassoc, thanks for getting in touch. 

What are you seeing that indicates that these files are indexing? Is that through our app? Can you send me a screenshot of that? 

If it’s our desktop app that’s still indexing these files, they’ll have the blue syncing icon on them, as would the folder(s) they are contained in. This would help tracking them down in your Dropbox folder through your file explorer. 

Another thing you can do is to check our app for syncing issues. Click on our app icon in your taskbar, then your account initials or avatar, and then “View Sync Issues”.

As for getting them unstuck, try to pause syncing and then un-pause it. You can also try exiting/restarting our desktop app, and restarting your computer. 

Get back to me when you can, and let me know how it’s going. 

Cheers!

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the reply! I know they are indexing because when I hover over the dropbox icon it notes that (in the dropdown menu it says Syncing), but none of my folders are marked with the blue syncing icon, and there are no problems reported when I use “View Sync Issues.” I am not sure what the problem is with the files (I have yet to find a common thread), but once I can find them (currently by just going through every single folder), I can pull them out and Dropbox is happy again. (I have not dealt with trying to add them back into Dropbox since none have been critical yet.) I have tried pausing and unpausing and restarting, but to no avail. When there is only one of the files indexing that is a problem I can see its name when I hover over the Dropbox icon, so I assume the app knows somwhere what the names of all of them are, I just have no idea how to access that info.

Thanks again!

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for the info @lbassoc!

It may be that there is an issue with the permissions of the files that are preventing them from being able to sync.

Can you try out these steps while these problematic files are within the Dropbox folder, to see if that does the trick?

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Daphne,

Thanks for these processes! I tried them and unfortunately all it did was add another 'indexing' file to the three I already had (just my luck!). "Fix Hardlinks" only took a few seconds, but as the steps note "Fix Permissions" took quite a while to reindex everything (except my four problem files), so I assume that it did its job. I am not sure what the confict is, but the problem files that I have been able to find had ended up having issues opening (different issues, but none of them have opened), I am not sure if that is useful? 

Thanks again for the help!

Highlighted

Dropboxer

I see, thanks for trying that @lbassoc.

Which version of the app do you have installed at the moment? You can hover over the Dropbox icon in your system tray to see this.

Also, do you receive any specific errors when trying to open these files? If so, please send over a screenshot of this.

Daphne

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Daphne,

The version says 110.4.458, which I think is up to date? I cleverly deleted all of the problem files without taking a screenshot of the error (it was pre-coffee), but at least one said something about a disk error. Sorry not to have better info on this!

Thanks again!

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hmmm, perhaps the files were corrupted in some way that made them unreadable. It's most likely that they couldn't sync for the same reason they couldn't be opened.

For now, I can suggest just removing any problematic files from the Dropbox folder (that you haven't already deleted), and allow the app to sync fully until it shows "up to date".

Then, you can try moving the files back into the Dropbox folder one at a time, if you still have any, to see if they can be synced.

If not, the app should show an error in the sync status for the specific file.

Hope this helps to some extent @lbassoc!

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?