cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Time PC to Dropbox Upload

First Time PC to Dropbox Upload

ginar
Explorer | Level 3

Hi!  I'm trying to figure out the best way to transfer everything from my PC to 100% in Dropbox and online only.  I'm a first time user of cloud.  How do I do this?  I learned about SmartSync and Selective Sync, but how do I get everything (500+ GB of pics, music, docs, etc.) uploaded in the most efficient way?  Thanks for your help!

5 Replies 5

Re: First Time PC to Dropbox Upload

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hello there @ginar, I hope you're having a good start to your week!

The best method usually when uploading a large amount of data is to do it in batches.

So, for example, move over a batch of folders into the Dropbox folder, allow them to fully sync and the app status showing "up to date", then either apply Smart Sync or selective sync.

If the files are from another drive, then make sure you move over less data than the free space you have on the drive that the Dropbox folder is on.

To initially upload the file, they will need to be local on your computer while they sync.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ginar
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you so much for your response!

I'm having a great week so far!  How about yourself?

So I ended up doing a computer back up.  Since my laptop went into sleep mode, it didn't finish.  It looks like it's continuing to sync this morning when I restarted my computer.  This time I turned off the power saving options so that it won't go to sleep or turn off.  It seems like this is working?  Since I am trying to offload files (like 400GB in photos/videos) I am planning on doing the "selective sync" option when it's all done?  Is that the best way to go about things now?

Thanks again for your help!

Daphne
Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back to me here @ginar. I'm doing great, thanks for asking!

As long as you're seeing the sync progressing, you can leave the app to do it's thing, and upload the files to your account online.

From what you mentioned, you already have all the data locally on your computer, so no need to worry about any space issues on your internal drive.

The only thing to keep in mind here is to make sure that the app is showing "up to date", and no longer syncing, before removing the folders locally with selective sync.

Other than that, just keep an eye on the progress and let me know if you see any errors in the sync status, or the progress appears to get stuck.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ginar
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you!  I actually had to remove a lot of files onto my back up drive in order to have space on my laptop to add more.  And yes, it's still syncing.  Says it will take 2 days!  LOL

Daphne
Dropboxer
Thanks for the update @ginar, hopefully it didn't take that long!

I'll be just a post away if you run into any trouble with this. 😀

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?