cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how Community ideas impact Dropbox development? Check it out here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time user. Deleting dropbox after 30 mins of Use. This app is ridiculous

First time user. Deleting dropbox after 30 mins of Use. This app is ridiculous

mastergy
New member | Level 2

Since I've wasted 30 mins trying to make dropbox work, I'll just spend some more time detailing why this is not a good storage option for first-time users:

1. Unnecessary sync. At the installation time, dropbox askes to sync desktop to cloud, given options are [Desktop/Documents/Downloads] NONE of which worth to be synced, at least for me. 

2. Unclearinterface. There are no options to choose ANY folders other than the given 3 which is ridiculous.

3. Unnecessary Duplication. I tried to sync one of my local directories to the cloud. Dragged and Dropped. 

Here's what I expect will happen:

• Dropbox Uploads the dragged folder/directory to cloud, maintaining it's structure. [Working As Intended]
  • Dropbox monitors the changes I have in local folder and update files when adding new ones.

The second point, however, did not happen, because Dropbox had to create a local copy of the directory I dropped in it's own directory.

The folder I was trying to back up is 500+GB in size. A duplication of the folder in my drive would exhaust my drive.

Anyhow, If you are looking for a quick set up app, that can back up the files you want and access it on cloud, dropbox is NOT  the tool to go.

3 Replies 3

Re: First time user. Deleting dropbox after 30 mins of Use. This app is ridiculous

Rich
Super User II

@mastergy wrote:

Since I've wasted 30 mins trying to make dropbox work, I'll just spend some more time detailing why this is not a good storage option for first-time users:

It seems that all of your frustrations come from a mis-understanding of what the primary purpose of Dropbox is.

1. Unnecessary sync. At the installation time, dropbox askes to sync desktop to cloud, given options are [Desktop/Documents/Downloads] NONE of which worth to be synced, at least for me.

This is an OPTIONAL feature that allows you to have your Desktop, Documents and Downloads folders moved into Dropbox and synced with your account online as a backup of those folders.

2. Unclearinterface. There are no options to choose ANY folders other than the given 3 which is ridiculous.

That's because those are the only folders that are supported by the backup feature. Outside of those folders, Dropbox is not intended as a backup service. It's a file syncronization service, meant to keep your local Dropbox folder in-sync with your account online and with the Dropbox folder on other devices you may have it installed on.

3. Unnecessary Duplication. I tried to sync one of my local directories to the cloud. Dragged and Dropped.

Dropbox will only sync files that are located within the local Dropbox folder. It cannot sync folders located elsewhere on your computer.

It's also worth noting that it wasn't Dropbox that created a copy of the folder you dragged and dropped; your operating system did. Items you drag and drop between folders on the same drive will be moved. Items you drag and drop between folders on different drives will be copied. This is a function of your operating system; not Dropbox.

Re: First time user. Deleting dropbox after 30 mins of Use. This app is ridiculous

marialuthers
New member | Level 2

I you should read carefully read the instructions before clicking on next button when you intalls drop box you have option to stop syn

belvapenta04s
New member | Level 2

This is not right to say about this app. Drop is the best app for document sharing my whole class using this app for document sharing to each other. May be in the first time you did not know how to use this app so that's why I think you are saying this. I suggest give him some time so you can understand this app and my account name is allvendi exclusive hair Thanks

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

belvapenta04s New member | Level 2
    marialuthers New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?