cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: First time using paper, images not showing with sharing link

First time using paper, images not showing with sharing link

noteimporta
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

I was a user of hackpad, I love beacuse of its user experience for collaborative work. I tried paper and I honestly, deeply regret it. After working hours on articles, I share it to my peers realising that I'm the only one that can see the images and infographics. All the images are broken when they access it through sharing links.

Why is that? I think this is a very inconvenient issue. I'm deeply disapointed, it was a great product.

28 Replies 28

garyjlee
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

yes, the images are broken when not viewed in dropbox by a logged-in user.

i tried both – dragging from my computer and also embedding from dropbox files. broken either way.

nginear
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am having the exact same issue.  First time using Paper, trying to send viewable links to customers, just broken links to the images.

A host of other issues when shared too, so not a good start.

- Can't select and copy text when viewed with share link

- Auto inserted page breaks in view mode, instead of continuous like owners view

- PDF's just render as long HTML link instead of screen shot like in owners view

Looks and works great when I use Paper, just terrible experience on when sending to someone else.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @nginear; thanks for joining the discussion here and welcome to our Community!

From what I gather, the issue you are experiencing is no one is able to view all the media on the Paper doc you've created and shared via a link. The full contents of the Paper doc are available only when the user is logged into Dropbox.

According to our devs, this is actually intended behavior. I understand this is probably not what you were expecting. 

That being said, I do understand how it would be beneficial to be able to share the link to a Paper doc and allow all people with the link to view the Paper doc as you've created it. However, the content will not have any issue if viewing from a signed-in state. The person you send this to will need to sign into Dropbox, or you can export the document as a .pdf or .doc and send the export instead.

I hope this clears things up a tad and I'm always around if you have any questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

nginear
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yes, it clears it up, but it's pretty disappointing.  I'll have to use a different tool from now on.  

garyjlee
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
likewise – this feels incredibly broken. will have to jump ship.

sim04ful
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Absolutely ridiculous

leonardBlunt
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have a Dropbox folder inside this folder is a number of images and a Dropbox paper. I want to be able to add the images to the paper and share the link using anyone with the link can view permission. 

When in edit mode the images are fine. When I share a link one image is fine the rest present as a broken image link icon. I cannot figure out how to correct or fix the permissions so that all the images show inside the dropbox paper when shared as a link.

Did some further investigation, I think this may be a bug. What I see is it shows the first image no matter the image. For some reason unable to get the 2nd, 3rd ...subsequent images linked in the paper.

Can you advise what I need to do to make it show all the images using an anyone can view or even edit link?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for posting @leonardBlunt!

Since you're having a similar issue, I've just moved your post here.

Please take a look at Walter's post here for some more info, and let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Iliana-DBX
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
I am happy to share that this behavior has been changed. Logged out view of Paper docs will now show all assets!
Need more support?