cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folder Deleted by Itself

Highlighted

Folder Deleted by Itself

Explorer | Level 3

I've had repeated issues with files in Dropbox being deleted not by me (at least intentionally). I've always assumed that a sync issue or accidental action was to blame. But this time I know with a high degree of certainty it was a glitch with Dropbox. I know, I know, Drobox "can't do that". Well it did. The contents of an entire folder were deleted on September 14th. Fortunately, I noticed today and was able to recover the files within 30 days. When I look at the version history, the files were deleted on Sept 14th by "me" on device LAPTOP-VC8T. Well that laptop had a hard drive crash on August 17th. It is currently sitting upside down, with the hard drive removed, on my workbench. It WAS NOT online or even operational on September 14th. I have double and triple checked the device names and dates... Anyone have any ideas what could have caused this?

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Folder Deleted by Itself

Dropboxer

Hey there @JMyers16, thanks for checking in with us. 

Out of curiosity, what does your events page say about this folder? 

Also, could you provide a few examples of file types that the folder holds?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I'm not sure where to find "events" but the "Folder History" is where it shows the contents of the folder being deleted on September 14th by the dead computer. The top folder, inside my main Dropbox folder, remained, but everything inside was deleted. Subfolders and files. It's a bunch of mostly xls and txt files.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

In that case, have you tried restoring them through your deleted files page @JMyers16?

Also, here's a direct link for your events page for reference: 

This is the place where all uploads, edits and deletions are normally logged, so it should give you a hint about what happened. 

Let us know if you have any more questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?