cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Folder Permissions Getting Reset

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have a dropbox folder setup on local PC and from the Securities tab, have given access to domain users/groups NTFS permissions to access the data. The folder is also shared out to external users who are able to modify the folders/files. When the external users modify the folders/files, the domain users/groups gets removed from the folder security and they lose access. The online version works fine.

What could be causing this and how best to resolve?

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: Folder Permissions Getting Reset

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @FTH_NZ - welcome to the Dropbox Community!

I'm not really sure I fully understand the matter at hand. Can you please elaborate a tad and send me screenshots so I can have a visual of what you described as well? 

Thanks so much!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thanks Walter for looking this.

The AD security group "File - Dropbox - Folder 1 ...." disappears completely once a change is done to file from external users. The other 3 security prinicipal remains.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshot @FTH_NZ; I don't see where Dropbox comes in play though!

To elaborate, the screenshot shows the permissions of files and folders within your Dropbox folder as assigned by your computer's OS (Windows in your case) and has nothing to do with the permissions you can set via Dropbox when sharing folders or files.

Can you let me know more about your setup and what exactly you'd like to accomplish in the end?

By the way, are you using a Dropbox for Business teams account or an individual account? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @FTH_NZ,

Seems like files you refer aren't changed from Dropbox application, instead recreated (every time external user change them). Usually every one file have unique id which stay same when a file changes, and could get new value when same file (by name) is recreated. You can check this (confirm or reject) using in terminal:

fsutil file queryfileid <filename>

Check if the result changes before and after external user change particular file. Repeat the same for some number of files and... let's see.

If my suspicion gets confirmed,  this will be a Dropbox bug.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?