cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Folder Structure if Using Backup Feature

Folder Structure if Using Backup Feature

jelarv
Explorer | Level 3

I have dozens of Excel files on my PC that link to one another via paths names saved in each file such as C:\Users\XXXXX\Documents\Work Projects\ProjectA.   If I migrate to Dropbox (I'm using another backup service now), and I want to ensure all of my files are being backed up, will Dropbox put them in a new master folder thus forcing me to rename all of paths in my Excel files that link to other files?

Also, I have a few programs on my PC that save all of my user information at a level above "Documents" (such as Adobe Creative Cloud, Microsoft OneNote cached notebooks, Zotero, etc.).  If I understand the documentation correctly for Dropbox backup, will it NOT back up those files because they aren't in my "Documents" folder?

2 Replies 2

Daphne
Dropboxer

Happy Friday @jelarv, I hope you're well today!

When the computer backup is enabled and syncing the local files on your computer, the filepath for the files will indeed be changed to something like: C:\Users\XYZ\Dropbox\My PC \Documents\FileA.

The backup feature, at the moment, can be set to backup the Documents, Downloads and Desktop folders.

If you have any files outside of those folders that you'd like to sync, you would have to move it to a folder that's being synced.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jelarv
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately this means I won't be able to use Dropbox as a cloud file storage option.

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Need more support?