cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you're up against the clock to get holiday ready, so here are some tips on how to use Dropbox to make your prep easy! Check them out!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Folder, Sub Folder Structure for optimal sharing

Folder, Sub Folder Structure for optimal sharing

DDowns61
New member | Level 2

A photography business has two partners, A&B.  They wish to be able to creat a Client Sub Folder and within that multiple other folders for individual clients.  If what I describe below is NOT possible through Dropbox, are there any recommendations on potential platforms that would?

A has access to Main Folder

A&B have access to Photography Business Folder

A&B+C&D (Staff) have access to Client Folder

Within the Client Folder you have Folder 1 with access by A,B,C,D and Client E1, E2

Within the Client Folder you have Folder 2 with access by A,B,C,D and Client F1, F2, F3

Etc

Etc

Any help would be appreciated!

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II
If you use Dropbox Business you can work it like that, however, Dropbox basic and Home (Plus) wont work as you cannot on that platform share subfolders differently to parent ones.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

dbeato
Super User

@Mark wrote:
If you use Dropbox Business you can work it like that, however, Dropbox basic and Home (Plus) wont work as you cannot on that platform share subfolders differently to parent ones.

This is on point, even with Dropbox Business it might be cumbersome. 

DDowns61
New member | Level 2

Thank for the responses...any recommendations for a GOOD solution provider to this objective?

ljasmann
Explorer | Level 3

Can you please explain how the above example can be done in Dropbox Business? 

Our situation is similar.  We have:

Project A:  needs to be shared with internal users,  Project A also has other subfolders that need to be shared only with internal users.

Project A/Public  Needs to be shared by internal users plus a group of external users in other companies that are working with us on the project.  This subfolder also may have subfolders that need to be shared with different sets of users.

Are there other third party products that can be used to enhance Dropbox capability in this areas?  Trello?

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey @ljasmann

Welcome to the Dropbox Community, I’d be glad to work on that with you!

First of all, it’s my understanding that Project A” & Project A/Public” are two different folders on your account that you’d like to work on (or maybe two different clients that you're working with at the moment). 

To my mind, you don’t need to use third party software to administer sharing permissions on your Dropbox account. The best course of action would be to organize your projects under two separate Team Folders, that would be named Project A” & Project A/Public” accordingly. 

From this point on, sharing permissions should be distributed, as in the scheme below: 
Hope this is helpful to you! Please keep me updated if you need more details about it in your reply. 

Hope you have a great weekend ahead,  
JaneA 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

ljasmann
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for responding.  It is a bit different folder stuctoure as shown below:

Project A (root folder)  This folder is shared with user A, B and C who are internal to the company

Project A/ Pricing Shared by A,B, and C

Project A/Public  Shared by A, B and C as well as several users enxternal to the company who are subcontractors on the project

Project A/Public/Work Folder  Shared by A,B, C and same external users.

There are about 10 - 15 fvolders under Project A that are only shared between internal company users

There are about 3 - 5 folders under Project A/Public that are shared by both internal and external users.

Problem is that if I use Porject A as a shared folder,, how do I change permisisons for Project A/Public to be different from other folders in Porject A, and have those permissions cascade down to sub-folders under Project A/Public?  We have lots or projects for many different agencies, so putting both Project and Project A/Public both at the root level would double the nouber of overall folders at the root level, which is not an option.

In addition, all of the project fodlers are embedded in a shared folder structure, so the complete path looks like:

Dropbox/BusDev/Agency/<agency name>/Projects/<Project Name>/(from here as described above)

Several internal users need to share the entire folder structure, with external users sharing ONLY the public folders in each project.

Thanks,

Larry

Need more support?