cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folder deleted online causing new local folder of same name to be deleted

Folder deleted online causing new local folder of same name to be deleted

Doug40c
Helpful | Level 6

Back in November 2020, Dropbox started to crash frequently and help for the reported error suggested reinstalling Dropbox. My log notes for the re-installation noted that I had specified the location to be the same as before, E:\Dropbox. After the installation, Dropbox sync'd for a while and then reported it was up to date. Unfortunately, Dropbox had placed the Dropbox folder at its original location on my system drive C:. For the next two months, I edited thousands of photos in my E:\Dropbox folder. When I discovered this, I reinstalled Dropbox and this time managed to get it located correctly back to E:\Dropbox. However, after Dropbox Sync'd, E:\Dropbox now contained thousands of pairs of files, one with the filename as stored in the online Dropbox and the other edited version of the file renamed, adding "(Doug's conflicted copy 2021-01-17).

I restored my E:\Dropbox from a backup and deleted the online Dropbox folders, which were not shared. I then reinstalled Dropbox and waited while it sync'd. But I noticed that folders and files on my E:\Dropbox were being deleted and quit Dropbox to stop the damage. (I do have a backup made just prior to this that I can use to repair E:\Dropbox.)

I had naively thought that, since I had deleted the folder online, Dropbox would consider the folders in my E:\Dropbox to be new and upload them. Instead, it seems to have decided that, since I had deleted a folder by the same name, it should delete that folder on all linked computers. How do I make Dropbox recognize that an unshared folder that has been deleted online should not cause a new folder in the local Dropbox folder to get deleted?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Folder deleted online causing new local folder of same name to be deleted

Doug40c
Helpful | Level 6

I have restored all files back to E:\Dropbox. After a bit of churning, Dropbox is up to date. All appears in order. I am declaring the problem resolved.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there @Doug40c, thanks for reaching out to us. 

Generally, conflicted copies can occur when offline changes have occurred to a file and the desktop app recognizes both versions. 

Since you deleted content from online, the desktop app would try to sync those changes to match them on your desktop app. 

In this case, I'd recommend letting the desktop app sync and restoring any files you want to keep. 

Once syncing is complete, let me know what the new status of the desktop app is and we'll take it from there. 

Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Doug40c
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks, Lusil. That's what I eventually concluded over the weekend. On my local E:\Dropbox, I deletd the contents of any folder with conflicted files, reinstalled Dropbox and let it sync. Since then I have been copying backup files into those folders and adding any other backup folders that were missing. It is a long process since I am having to restore about 750GB, but it is going well. i'll flag this thread solved after I complete the restoration.

Lusil
Dropboxer
No worries, @Doug40c, thanks for keeping me in the loop.

If anything comes up in the meantime, just give me another nudge and I'd be more than happy to help. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely day ahead!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Doug40c
Helpful | Level 6

I have restored all files back to E:\Dropbox. After a bit of churning, Dropbox is up to date. All appears in order. I am declaring the problem resolved.

View solution in original post

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?