cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folder "files on my computer" re-occurring

Folder "files on my computer" re-occurring

F. D.
Helpful | Level 5

A few days ago, Dropbox suggested making a folder "files on my computer" (on my desktop), and I sais yes. It was not clear what is was for to me, but anyhow. Now my free space is full. I deleted this folder but dropbox keeps receating it. I searched how to disable this option, but could not find a clear spot where such an option was, not in the app on my PC, nor on my internet account. I then emptied completely my dropbox folder on my PC. However Dropbox keeps the you-are-full-tag and keeps recreating this folder on my desktop.

If things become unclear and complicated so that I cannot solve things myself, I get irritated, and I am sure that's not what Dropbox wants.

What I want to do: empty my dropbox folder, so that I have ZERO use of space, THEN put in some new files that I wish to sync. Why does that not simply work?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Folder "files on my computer" re-occurring

F. D.
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you very much, BOTH solutions worked immediately. After many manu years with Dropbox, this was the first frustration. They should send a message what to do when in quota-state. I never imagined they cold-stopped syncing with no explanation.

And the back-up option I do not understand, since having Dropbox IN THE FIRST PLACE is providing a back-up (of youw own folder choices) in the cloud. Thanks again!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@F. D. wrote:

A few days ago, Dropbox suggested making a folder "files on my computer" (on my desktop), and I sais yes. It was not clear what is was for to me, but anyhow. ...

Hi @F. D.,

It's never good idea to accept something you are not aware exactly what is! Could be something buggy or in beta evaluation, for example. If I have to bet, according the description, you gave, you have activated "Dropbox Backup" feature.

To turn the feature off, take a look on "Turn off computer backup" section in referred topic (follow the link). On step 6 choose "Keep content in folders on this PC/Mac", not "Leave content in Dropbox". Here the issue related to the strange folder bringing up may got gone. 😉

@F. D. wrote:

... Now my free space is full. ... I then emptied completely my dropbox folder on my PC. However Dropbox keeps the you-are-full-tag ...

What I want to do: empty my dropbox folder, so that I have ZERO use of space, ...

Seems, you have got in overquota state. While you account is in such state, all kind of sync get stopped! So no any local action in Dropbox folder can't get in sync with the account (including deletion/wipe out). That's why your account keeps warn you about "full-tag". Overquota evaluation is based on your account content (not your local folder content) and you have to wipe out (or delete as much as needed of) your account content (using the web interface) to get out overquota state. Since then sync will resume. 😉

@F. D. wrote:
... Why does that not simply work?

Good question! 👏 Information provided from application (related to different troublesome states) and work organization could be improved in many directions. Seems, Dropbox development isn't interested enough in such improvements, but can't stop introduce of new "features" (understand bugs).

Hope this clarifies matter.

F. D.
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you very much, BOTH solutions worked immediately. After many manu years with Dropbox, this was the first frustration. They should send a message what to do when in quota-state. I never imagined they cold-stopped syncing with no explanation.

And the back-up option I do not understand, since having Dropbox IN THE FIRST PLACE is providing a back-up (of youw own folder choices) in the cloud. Thanks again!

View solution in original post

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@F. D. wrote:

And the back-up option I do not understand, since having Dropbox IN THE FIRST PLACE is providing a back-up (of youw own folder choices) in the cloud....

No, you are wrong. ☝️ The primary feature of Dropbox is syncing! Backup is a supplementary feature (not very well implemented). 😉

LawManners
Explorer | Level 3

What action was the solution? You marked your reply as the solution...

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?