cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Folder showing a Share Icon

Folder showing a Share Icon

JOfE
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

Why do some folders in Dropbox.com show a sharing icon when the folder is not shared? I am refering to the sharing icon visible on dropbox.com not on the computer version. See the screenshot. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 6.47.25 PM.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @JOfE!

Could you just check for me, if you select one of these folders and choose the "Share" option, and then click the gear icon in the top right corner, do you see an option to "Unshare folder" in the bottom left of the window?

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @JOfE,

🤔 Hm... That's really strange. Is there any chance you have received that directory by somebody as a shared folder and after that the owner has got out of share without transfer ownership to you? 🧐 In such a case you would been the only person referring particular directory without being owner, so it's shared still, but you are already the only referring to. 🤷

This is the only I can think of.

JOfE
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

I'm stumped also. I have many folders like this in my dropbox account. I have never shared them. I am not sharing them now. These appear on dropbox.com so I can't assume this is a problem with Apple or Windows.

I'm not a programmer for a billion dollar tech company but I think the icon should read 'blank' when I folder is not shared- whether I was the original owner of the folder or not. 

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@JOfE wrote:

... I have never shared them. ... 

Hi @JOfE,

Are you sure you "have never shared them"? 🧐 🙂 I'm sure in just opposite.

At some moment you have shared the folders, in focus, to some people. Later the share recipient(s) remove their-self from the sharing. Finally as a result (most probably a bug) the folder(s) remain "shared" while they are NOT actually. 🤷 That's it.

It could be easily reproduced:

image.png

The weird thing here is you cannot unshare a folder non shared actually, but still labeled as a such. In my reproductions is a difference. Such a folder appear everywhere as a shared, not just on Dropbox site, like in your case. On my mobile, for example:

Screenshot_20210228_175447.jpg

On mobile I can cancel sharing (ellipsis menu). It's really strange why the same can't be done on the Dropbox web site. 🤷

The only other workaround, I can think of, is following the steps (folder name "Test" is used as an example) below:

1. Rename folder "Test" to something like "Test.tmp".
  2. Create new folder "Test".
  3. Move entire content of "Test.tmp" into "Test".
  4. Remove "Test.tmp".

Now, there is a same folder "Test" without any "share" label. 😉 If you are disturbed by the "labeling", can repeat the same for all incorrectly labeled folders. The share status get removed only when you unshare file/folder yourself, not by other parties (the actual bug). You can wait for the bug be fixed, but I wont encourage you cause Dropbox will ignore it (I'm pretty sure). The choice is yours.

Hope this helps to some extent.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

One thing to just check @JOfE is that you've not accidentally shared them with yourself.... when you go to www.dropbox.com/home and find the folder that will tell you how many are in the share and let you remove things etc. 

One thing to note is that if you stop a folder being shared you lose all file version history of it - so if you remove it even if its only shared to you it will start 'from scratch'.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@Mark, those folders aren't listed in Shared!

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

I know @Здравко 

But I've also found examples on mine of folders that are not - hence why I said to go the other way 🙂 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

JOfE
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

I recreated the problem also. Its seems to be a very fundamental (albeit cosmetic) bug in dropbox's own website. You would think dropbox would be more conscientious about so simple a thing. 

The problem is that my list of shared folders in the Admin Controls is full of shared folders that are not truly shared. It as hard to maintain what is shared and not in my business account.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @JOfE!

Could you just check for me, if you select one of these folders and choose the "Share" option, and then click the gear icon in the top right corner, do you see an option to "Unshare folder" in the bottom left of the window?

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

JOfE
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

I do. So strange. There was an "unshare folder" option on the bottom left. It unshared the folder (from no one) and the icon returned to blank.

@Daphneyou just saved me a LOT of time! Thank you!!

Need more support?