cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Folder upload uncompleted

Folder upload fails on Dropbox.com

Pascale2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi, I just started with Dropbox Plus. I tried to upload large folders to Dropbox, which took quite a long time (sometimes about 2 days for some of the folders). 

When the uploading was finished, I got reports mentioning that large amounts of files could not be uploaded (180, 450 files...)!!

Can I resume the uploading of the missing files only?  or do I have to remove the whole folder from Dropbox and start uploading again? (with the risk that some files will be missing once more).

BTW, I did not see any Zip folders being uploaded to Dropbox as it's been mentioned in some of the tutorials.

Thanks for the help!

28 Replies 28

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @Pascale2 !

Thanks for getting back to me about this. 

Addressing the files missing from your iPad, we need to start by checking if the computers syncing status is "up to date" :white_check_mark: ? If it is still syncing :arrows_counterclockwise: then the files are not yet on the web and the iPad cannot "see" them yet.

However, disk errors are letting you know that apps cannot read your hard drive. When we have an Operational error, like the one you are describing, it is quite likely that the Dropbox of this device is not syncing. Because it cannot read the hard drive to update the local version of the files to the web. :slight_frown:

I highly recommend that you have your hard drive backed up and checked by a professional. You can learn how to check your hard disk for errors here:

WINDOWS (instructions work for all supported versions)

MAC OS X

LINUX (example for the Ubuntu distribution)

I hope this helps! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Pascale2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks!!! I’m going to check the links you send me. ‘

Do you have any solution for this issue:

I am working on a Photoshop file on my MacBook from the Dropbox folder. But my computer is getting really slow. The bamboo pen of my Wacom tablet also sometime stops responding. How can I make sure I use Dropbox files  with the same work flow that I am used to?”

Thanks!!!

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me about this @Pascale2

For any Wacom drivers for a pointing device, such as a graphics tablet, please attempt to update them to the latest version first. To update drivers on Windows 10, you can follow the instructions here. If updating the driver is not sufficient, you may have to uninstall the Wacom application and any elements of it on your system in order to resolve any issues. After you have done this, you can test Dropbox to see if the issue persists. Once those instructions are complete, you can attempt to reinstall the Wacom application and see if the issue returns.

Reading/opening and editing files can slow down things in general and I would have further questions to ask to further troubleshoot this, but the Operational issue you reported needs to be checked first before we further investigate anything else. 

If your apps are having trouble reading from the hard drive, what you are describing is expected. 

Let me know how this goes. I want to help you further with this.

Thanks!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Pascale2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Fiona, I am busy making space on my hard drive to make sure my computer works faster. 

There is something I don't understand about the way files are saved on Dropbox: I put all folders that I don't use anymore as "online-only"  to save space on my local hard disk. However, via " About this mac / Storage / manage", I get to see my largest files (to delete them if appropriate), but most of these large files that I get t see are actually now located on Dropbox as "online-only".  

So it seems that my Online-only files still use space on my local hard drive. 

Can you explain to me how this works?

Thanks!

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Hello Pascale2

While you wait on Fiona to answer, I thought I will also try to help.  Can you do this for us?  Go to a large file that you have stored in Dropbox that is supposed and selected for 'Online-only' and highlight the file and do a 'get info' on it?  press command key + i and tell me how large the file.  FYI, if it's truly online, you would see a thumbnail and it shouldn't be very large.

This should tell us whether it's working

Check out this Help Center article:  https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/smart-sync

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Pascale2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks for your quick reaction. 

I get this for example for a Online-only file: "1,380,724,058 bytes (Zero bytes on disk)"

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Thanks for sharing that info.  This tells me that the file has 0 bytes which don't add any data on your Hard drive so maybe perhaps, you were seeing something different?

If you look at the Help Center Article I linked to, it shows the badges that show on the files.  Is it like this?  

smart-sync-online-only.png

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Pascale2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yes, I do have such a cloud icon. 

However I get this info:

which is not logical: the graphic shows my disk is almost full, whereas the info above says that half of my space is used. 

Any idea why this is so? before I use Dropbox, the graphic was at half of the level of total storage. 

thanks!

Pascale2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

See my screenshot here:Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 8.13.11 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-09-28 at 8.13.11 PM.png

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Okay, this was a topic years ago and its might have changed.  Anytime, a person or even an app deletes the files from Dropbox, it saves the file in a hidden folder.  They do this for easier restoration.  The Client should delete the hidden cache after a couple of days.

If the files used to be on the Harddrive and you initialize smart sync to online, perhaps the files go into this hidden cache

I am going to check on where to find this hidden folder used for cache and post m findings

Need more support?