cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Folders Duplicating When Organizing

Folders Duplicating When Organizing

jennag
Explorer | Level 3

Yesterday I was organizing one of my Dropbox folders. I was creating new folders, renaming folders, and moving files around (can confirm I was NOT copying, I was moving). Everything had updated names, moved around accordingly.

This morning when I logged into my Dropbox account, everything that I renamed and moved, duplicated out in addition to the new changes I had made. 

For example: Folder A was renamed to Folder B and loose files were added into Folder B. Last night there was only Folder B (containing the loose files I had moved into it) in my Dropbox account. This morning there is Folder A, Folder B (with the loose files that were moved into the folder) AND the loose files. 

I am nervous if I delete any of the files that have duplicates, that it will also delete that file from everywhere within the folder. These are very large image files, so it wouldn't make sense to download them off of Dropbox and reupload.

Help! Has this happened to anyone else?

2 Replies 2

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @jennag; welcome to our Community!

I'm not exactly sure how this might have happened; could you clarify if you were doing this on our website or perhaps the desktop app or even the mobile app?

How are those changes logged in your events page? 

Let me know what you find, Jenna. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jennag
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the insight, Walter! When going to the "Events" tab, it looks like someone was restoring files as I was continuing to make changes within the folder, which caused this issued I had initially mentioned. 

Now that some folder have been restored-- this leaves me with the question: IF there was a folder that I had edited or moved, but the very original folder was restored-- if I delete the restored version that I initially made changes to, will that remove or delete the other file in the updated folder? I am nervous if I delete the original folder that I changed, that it will also delete the other folder. 

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Need more support?