Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Folders and files deleted while synching was paused. Why did this happen? I did not delete them

Explorer | Level 4

I received an email from Dropbox informing me a lot of my folders and files had been deleted. I did not delete them. The only thing different I had done was that I had paused synching and forgotten that I had done that.

But for some reason so much was deleted - why did this happen? Thank goodness for the notification email.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Folders and files deleted while synching was paused. Why did this happen? I did not delete them

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

That is indeed strange @Giwi1!

What I can tell initially is that you're currently running a beta version of the desktop app, which possibly could be the reason for appearing to be paused when it's not. It not expected that syncing occurs if sync is paused in that way.

I'd recommend downgrading from the beta to the latest stable version by:

1. Turning off "Early releases" at the bottom of your account settings page.
  2. Downloading and installing the latest stable version.

Having said that, is it possible that the affected folder is shared with other users that may have deleted the files? You should be able to see who took the action in the Events page.

I hope this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
Highlighted

Re: Folders and files deleted while synching was paused. Why did this happen? I did not delete them

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello there @Giwi1, thanks for reaching out to us here!

So that we can find out why/where those files were deleted from, can you please take a look at your Events page here? Let me know what you find there in regards to the deleted files.

If you can locate the event that the files were deleted, you should be able to choose the event and then see the option to "Restore" the files on the right side of the web page.

You can also check your Deleted files page and restore the files from there if you can locate them there. 

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there - thanks!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Now I am totally confused. I paused syncing on Dropbox recently, I think last week, and forgot to unpause - so it's STILL  paused right now. Yet there is still activity, including the files that have been deleted.

But what concerns me is that synching still continues to happen including files I was working with a few days ago.

I was not aware that if I work with files and folders on my computer with the synch option paused that this could happen. Dropbox Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 1.49.26 PM.jpgDropbox Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 1.49.26 PM.jpg

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

That is indeed strange @Giwi1!

What I can tell initially is that you're currently running a beta version of the desktop app, which possibly could be the reason for appearing to be paused when it's not. It not expected that syncing occurs if sync is paused in that way.

I'd recommend downgrading from the beta to the latest stable version by:

1. Turning off "Early releases" at the bottom of your account settings page.
  2. Downloading and installing the latest stable version.

Having said that, is it possible that the affected folder is shared with other users that may have deleted the files? You should be able to see who took the action in the Events page.

I hope this helps!

Daphne

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Daphne, thanks for your reply.  I have sole ownership of the Dropbox account - nobody else has access.

Also, I did NOT volunteer to use the  beta version. In fact, I was puzzled at the new format when I logged on again. I do not like it and if I had been given a choice I certainly would not have "volunteered" to use it. 

I am a little nervous about downgrading though - I hope my data will be safe.

This has really shaken my faith in Dropbox. I have used it for years and years and had unshakeable trust in the program. Not any more I'm afraid.

Thank you for your time helping me trying to figure this out. It can only be the switch to the new beta version.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

By the way - "Settings> Early Releases" was set to OFF.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for checking on that @Giwi1!

Since the option was turned off, can you try downloading the latest stable version and running the installer? You don't need to uninstall the previous version and the data currently within your Dropbox folder shouldn't be affected.

The new interface for the desktop app though is a new update rather than a beta release. If you prefer to have your file browser as the default and not use the new additional interface, you can change this with the steps listed here.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Daphne, I went with the latest update of the "old' version and all seems to be good, so I am sticking with that.

Many thanks for your kind help and advice.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

That's very good to hear @Giwi1, and thanks for your update!

If you have any other issues with this then feel free to give me a nudge here, I'll be more than happy to help.

I hope you have a great start to the week!

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?