cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folders are empty

Folders are empty

Rikonthebarge
Helpful | Level 6

Recently had big problems with my Mac and finally boguht a new one. I've installed Dropdox and all my files show up but they are all EMPTY! Any thoughts on how I can restore them? All help much appreciated. Thank you. Rik

27 Replies 27

Mark
Super User II

Have you given Dropbox time to download them? Things take time - it does all folders first before files. 

Do you see the files at www.dropbox.com/home ?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Rikonthebarge
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Mark

Thank you for the speedy response.

I downloaded Dropbox onto my Mac last night (probably aboput 20 hours ago). I confess I didn't actually check inside the folders until this morning.

I have had a look on Dropbox Home and so far as I can see, the folders there are still empty.

Matters at my end are not helped by a staggeringly slow broadband speed but I don't know if this would have any bearing on Dropbox Home. I will keep checking.

Thanks, Rik

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Hey @Rikonthebarge, just to make sure that we're on the same page, are the folders also empty on the web?

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Rikonthebarge
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Lusil

Yes, ther certainly apper to be empty. Well, not QUITE empty; there are a few random files that all apper with the Skype logo beside them; they do not open.

Thanks for your interest. I hope this helps.

Rik

Nazrie
New member | Level 2
Probably the documents or items in it is not uploaded fully. That's why only file appears. You can try other paid online web/software to retrieve your deleted file in your mac

Rikonthebarge
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Nazrie

Thanks for your thoughts. Up until my laptop started misbehaving I was using the files in my dropbox often (not all of them but enough to know that the files have certainly been there. Unless I am being totally stupid (which is not beyond the bounds of possibility), they are not there now.

Other possibly useful info: I am now on a different laptop. I also undated my operating system before Christmas and I have a feeling that was the point at which the problems started with the old laptop. I am now using Mac OS 11.2.

Any further thoughts will be warmly welcomed

Rik

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Could you have a look at your events page to see if there's a recent record of these files?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Rikonthebarge
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Lusil

I went back into my events and clicked on a random file that was listed as added in december. It headed to my downloads file but then immediately flagged with this message "The file “Statement_15Jul2019.pdf” could not be opened because it is empty."

I went back a bit further into the events list. Two files picked at random did download but on opening them, they are empty.

The events list doesn't seem to go back beyond last september.

I hope this helps

Thanks.

Rik

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Just to make sure that we are on the same page, is the 'downloads' you're referring to a folder in your Dropbox account or your browser's Downloads location?

If you could send me a screenshot of the error message, that would be super helpful. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    DonSee New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
    Renata7 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?