cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Folders not syncing between computer and dropbox online

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

hi - I have been having hte same problem - some folders are synced and some are not. I tried several methods - re-install Dropbox, changed sync preferences (selected folders to sync), etc. Nothing works. Those folders with a (no-entry sign in grey) do not sync, no matter what I do.  

Highlighted

Super User
Super User

Hello 

have a look at this help center article https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/sync-icons 

See if there's any info that can help you 

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
Hi! In my case it got solved renaming folder names without any special characters. Seems on Dropbox for Mac those special characters work fine, but not on Windows. Hope this helps!!
Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

How can this be marked as an acepted solution? It is not a solution, just some wild theories. And the only like is from someone working on Dropbox, not from the OP.

Highlighted

Super User
Super User

Hello hellvijohan

I see there are several likes and yes, you are correct, no likes from OP.  The post that is marked solution has some information from the Help Center and is provided to help assist those having issues.  Since we are not able to be in front of the PC of the users having issues, we do not know exactly the solution, we merely ask questions and provide articles so the user can pinpoint a possible solution.  Also, we provide information on our own experiences and also information attained here at the forums.

Its quite possible that the solution works for some but not all.  There are several reasons for a given problem.

Are you having the same issues? and did you read the provided Help Center articles?

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Chris_J,

it is wonderful that you are trying your best to help, and definitely nothing wrong with that.

My concern is about this community in general where often the "Accepted" solutions does not seem to be marked as accepted by the one posting the Question, but instead by someone from Dropbox. Which in turn makes many threads in this community have "Accepted solutions" that does not help the users that read these threads.

My problems with Dropbox are many, it seems that Dropbox is just not the right tool for us in my Company since we have quite the number of files that we need to share. At the moment we are close to 3 million files. And it is a total mess. Suddenly from nowhere I get a notification saying that it needs to "sync ~40k files" without there being any actual change on the remote. That can last for hours with varing time estimates set to 25-35 minutes. Another time it may say everything is synced, when I clearly can see that the  browser verison has folders that are not synced to my computer even though they are subfolders to selected ones in the selective sync.

The selective sync itself is an excellent way to challenge your patience, when traversing the larger folders there it may take minutes at each level to get the contents listed.

And when you start to use slective sync there are many drawbacks, for example if you have to upload folder structures through the webb interface it is rediculously slow. The dropbox core structure seem to be heavily optimized for fewer large files than for many slow files.

If you had the stamina to read this far, thanks for listening to me whineing!
Probably we will manage to move all important and file-count-intesive stuff out from dropbox soon. 

Take care,

Johan

Highlighted

Super User
Super User

Hello Johan

Thanks for reaching out. I understand what you are saying.  It's not a perfect system.  Troubleshooting is tough and it's hard to do remotely.  It sounds like Dropbox has a lot of trouble with so many files.  You stated you have over 3 million files, and I assume many are accessing those files and its not an excuse but a challenging to do selective sync among those amount of files.

Good luck to you.  I am a user like you and volunteer my time here at the forum.  I still like Dropbox and use it for personal and at work.  It sounds like it may not be solved by looking here at the forums but perhaps several attempts with the Support Team would get you further to a solution.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?