cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folders with large numbers of files slow to update and display on computer.

Folders with large numbers of files slow to update and display on computer.

KD76
New member | Level 2

I have multiple folders with several thousand files, and whenever new files are created in them, it takes forever for the files to show up in my Dropbox folder within Windows Explorer.  It also takes forever for these folders to load and show all their contents.

The main place this happens is in the Screenshots folders that Dropbox uses for all screenshots I take in Windows.  I also have multiple subfolders within that folder where I keep screenshots taken from other programs.  In Screenshots right now (not including subfolders), I have 1390 files comprising 1.58 GB.  When I open the folder within Windows Explorer, it lags 5-10 seconds or more before it shows me everything in the folder.  There's a spinning circle next to cursor, and some of the pictures I know are in there show up, and then after a while the entirety of them appear.  This happens even if nothing has changed in the folder recently and is being updated.  This doesn't happen in local storage folders with similar numbers and sizes of files.

I just opened a subfolder of the Screenshots folder.  It contains 1736 files comprising 2.06 GB.  A few images were added to it last night.  It took nearly 3 minutes to fully display all the files in this folder.  When I add files to either of these folders I have to wait significant amount of time for them to show up so I can select them, even though the actual file has long since been created by whatever program made it.

This only happens within the Dropbox folder, and as you can tell by some of these times, it's really quite annoying.  Since the files are stored on my computer and also synced to the cloud (that's how Dropbox has always worked right?), I don't see why there should be any loading time for files stored locally, even if they are being synced.  This isn't like using IMAP with email where everything stays on the server and your email client is more of a window into the server.  Right?

Anyway, is there anything I can do about this to just make things load instantly like any other folder in Windows?  Of course, I want the seamless backup and syncing that I get by putting everything in my Dropbox folder.  It's been improving my quality of life for over 10 years now.  But this lag stuff has been eating away at that for probably a year or more, and I've just finally gotten around to asking when I couldn't figure it out myself.

I'd appreciate and help and insight you all can provide.  Thank you.

1 Reply 1

Re: Folders with large numbers of files slow to update and display on computer.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @KD76, thanks for messaging the Community!

How do you have the images displayed in Explorer? Is it with thumbnails, or a list of files?

Do you have the same settings for image folders outside of Dropbox, without any issues?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?