cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Formatting of Word Document messed up when opening in Word by default

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi - I have a perfectly formatted word document which I need to view.  I was trying out your online MS Word editing function for the first time and was asked whether I wanted to open in Word as a.docx document by default. I thought - why not since I only use word.  Now every time I go to that file the formatting is all messed up.  I can't have this happen - the word documents I produce have to be formatted correctly for work. Help please!

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Fixing formatting issues in Word for .docx docs

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Just posted about the above.  I edited a document out of Dropbox (because the formatting was all messed up when it opened up in Word directly on Dropbox).  Once I'd got the document exactly as I wanted it, I then uploaded to a Dropbox folder.  When I go and check it the formatting is all messed up again.

Warning to everyone- don't click yes to saving/opening Word documents by default as .docx docs.  They're all messed up - no way I can use this tool to proof online. Please help Dropbox staff - fine to collaborate with MS Word - but it's got to get better than this. It just has to be seamless if you're offering a new online editing function. Thanks!

Highlighted

Re: Formatting of Word Document messed up when opening in Word by default

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @Amanda15 - sorry to hear about this.

Could you send me a shared link to the file in question so I can investigate further? A screenshot of how it looks like natively on your computer would also be appreciated so please forward me one too Amanda!

Thanks!

PS: In the meantime, does this persist after having cleared your browser's cache, on an incognito window or even a completely different browser(with no extensions or plugins running)? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Formatting of Word Document messed up when opening in Word by default

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Quick follow up here Amanda: I just merged your post under the same thread and moved it to the relevant section of our Community.

Whenever you get the chance to review my previous response, please let me know and we'll take it from there!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?