cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how Community ideas impact Dropbox development? Check it out here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Account with an Oversized File

Free Account with an Oversized File

Sam_T_Godfrey
Explorer | Level 3

Hi all,

I'm new here and have only used Dropbox to share one file that was too big for email so far.  Still learning the ropes, and hoping to be able to use the service more often.

I deleted all the content in my Dropbox since it got where it was going.  There is an MP4 I made that is larger than the 2GB limit, it weighs in at 4.71GB.  Without thinking, I uploaded into a folder on Dropbox, and it seems to be sitting there all happy.  I got no message saying that it would not fit, but in the top right corner it does say: “Your Dropbox is full.”

It did seem to play from Dropbox with no problem, so what I'm wondering why is it fitting and functioning, and does this mean I'm automatically on the upgrade list?  If anyone other than myself tries to download it, will it work?  My only intention is for one person to see it, so I'll delete it once they have it.

I just hope I'm not in violation of anything!

Thanks ~ Sam

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Free Account with an Oversized File

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Sam_T_Godfrey, thanks for posting today!

Most likely, the file was added to your account via a shared folder.

Since the account is overquota, any further files won't sync until the account is under quota. Since the file appears to be on your account, then it should preview normally. 

If you need any further assistance, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Sam_T_Godfrey, thanks for posting today!

Most likely, the file was added to your account via a shared folder.

Since the account is overquota, any further files won't sync until the account is under quota. Since the file appears to be on your account, then it should preview normally. 

If you need any further assistance, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Sam_T_Godfrey
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you, Jay!

I do notice that sync has stopped and full warnings are coming in.  The file will be gone soon, so I'm not worried.  I would like to get a paid account, but my budget says "no" and it wouldn't be used enough to justify.

Thanks again ~ Sam

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Sam_T_Godfrey Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?