cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Show full file names

Full File/Folder Name Display On Website & Mobile Apps

BigGrrr
Helpful | Level 5

I use Dropbox on an iPad in landscape orientation. I would like the left panel to expand out so I can see the full file names. Truncated names are very annoying. At least let the name wrap. Seeing ... in the name is so annoying. Google Drive does it, why not you?

9 Replies 9

elbow93
Helpful | Level 5

I agree!  I always file my documents with the date first (in yyyy-mm-dd format) so the majority of my files don't show more than the first two letters after the date, then the last handful of letters.  It would be so much more useful if either the ellipsis were at the end (instead of the middle) or, better yet, if we had the option to make the text smaller and view the entire document name.

Scott H.
Collaborator | Level 9

@BigGrrr wrote:

I use Dropbox on an iPad in landscape orientation. I would like the left panel to expand out so I can see the full file names. Truncated names are very annoying. At least let the name wrap. Seeing ... in the name is so annoying. Google Drive does it, why not you?

+ 1 for this idea

BigGrrr
Helpful | Level 5

Dropbox added this feature. Simply close the content window and the file name listing panel on the left will expand to full width. Open a file and the panel narrows again.

elbow93
Helpful | Level 5

BigGrrr -- it doesn't seem to be this way on the desktop site.  I don't see any options to close the panel(s)...Dropbox Image.jpg

BigGrrr
Helpful | Level 5

They fixed the iPad app to do it. I didn't know that the browser version (Dropbox website) still truncated file names, even though there is room for them. Try the Windows app Dropbox Express. It displays the full name, and is a very nice interface.

atombaum
New member | Level 2

Is this "fixed" in any of the premium levels of membership? I don't use the phone app and only use the web browser interface. Was recently considering going to the paid service, but if this does not work, it would unfortunately be a deal breaker.

tamimd67
New member | Level 2

Feature Request - Full File/Folder Name Display On Website in Browser, Mobile Browser, & Mobile Apps

I love dropbox, but this issue has been an irritant for a long time.

Examples:

One of my files is named "20190531 Family Budget Development From Mint 2018 Data.xlsx", but it is displayed in my dropbox files as "20190531 Family B...nt 2018 Data.xlsx".

One of my folders is named "2019 May Mint Budget Development", but it is displayed in my dropbox files as "2019 May Mint Bu...et Development".

I have many files/folders with long and similar names, so displaying only partial names often makes it difficult for me to locate what I am looking for.

ADDED 11/01/2019: This issue occurs on Windows in Chrome and on Android in Chrome. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @tamimd67 - how are you today?

Thanks for writing in, and for sharing your feedback on this with us; I'll be sure to pass your comments along to our dev team.

In the meantime, you can view the full name by tapping the icon for more options to the right of the file (or folder) name that will show you the full name, as well as other file (or folder) actions. This allows you to see the full name without leaving your current view.

I hope this information helps and please let me know if you have anything else to add or ask; I'll be more than happy to follow up. 

EDIT: I also moved and merged your thread under this post as it echoes your feature request - make sure to upvote it!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

J-M
New member | Level 2

Well iPAD OS 13 broke this fabulous feature on my iPad 

Need more support?